How would you spend $1500, with no previous equipment?

As usual, knowing a bit more about the posters hopes and dreams helps a lot when making choices... just diving in and saying "BUY THIS!" isn't terribly helpful, really.
You're putting rules in the game and bringing me down man..... :(

Let's say you were just given $1500 cash to spend on photography equipment, but that you currently do not even own a camera. What would you buy?

:biggrin:

Last edited:
@Montana - Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 is ~$1200... f/1.2 doesn't exist in Nikkorland.

And in real life makes zero difference too. That is what, 1/3rd of a stop going from F/1.4 to F/1.2? Not even really noticeable in real life use. I have my D700 set to the exact same settings as my friend and his 5DmkII and he has the F/1.2 and I have the F/1.4 and the pictures both look great.

Now, the difference between a F/1.0 and a F/1.4 would be interesting... unfortunately, Notilux doesn't make a bayonet adapter for my D700. Their loss! :D

Its a half stop on the half stop scale. Thats 50% more light! And I agree about the 1.0! I would love to peer through one for a day. Fast glass is addicting!

As usual, knowing a bit more about the posters hopes and dreams helps a lot when making choices...

I have been into photography for quite a while, and while I haven't been an INCREDIBLY active poster (as indicated by my post count) I've been around here for a fair amount of time and learned a lot.

I tend to dabble in many various aspects of photography, portraiture, still lifes, landscapes, etc... I do tend to favor outdoor work though, although in the wide sense, landscapes and such.

Really I just want to put together a nice little kit that will be versatile enough to be satisfying for a few years. I don't have a huge need for ultra high ISO performance, as most of my work will be outdoors during the day. I do prefer either Canon or Nikon however, simply due to the huge amount of support, information and accessories available for both companies products.

Does that help a bit?

Nikon D90. I am buying one this December to upgrade. Christmas season is awash with bargain sales. So if you are itching to buy now, procrastinate till this winter.

As usual, knowing a bit more about the posters hopes and dreams helps a lot when making choices...

I have been into photography for quite a while, and while I haven't been an INCREDIBLY active poster (as indicated by my post count) I've been around here for a fair amount of time and learned a lot.

I tend to dabble in many various aspects of photography, portraiture, still lifes, landscapes, etc... I do tend to favor outdoor work though, although in the wide sense, landscapes and such.

Really I just want to put together a nice little kit that will be versatile enough to be satisfying for a few years. I don't have a huge need for ultra high ISO performance, as most of my work will be outdoors during the day. I do prefer either Canon or Nikon however, simply due to the huge amount of support, information and accessories available for both companies products.

Does that help a bit?

Helps a ton, yes!

So I'm getting a "I'm not OVERLY serious" feel from your post... into it, but not going hog-wild. At which point, I'd probably lean towards one of the "serious amateur" bodies... Canon Rebels or Nikon D80/90. I can't personally speak as well to the Canon bodies because I don't know them as well. If you can find one of the deals on a new D200 in box, that's a score. Better overall body for good money.

Since you'll be outdoors a lot you won't necessarily need fast glass, though obviously fast tends to mean better quality, and I'm not saying good glass would be a waste... but you might consider an 18-135 and then perhaps a 70-300 to give you a really nice range of lens for pretty cheap. I think the 18-135 is about $300 and the 70-300 is about $150 (these are both like 3.5/5.6 or something along those lines)

You can also always toss in a 50mm 1.8 for another $130 to give you one REALLY good piece of glass for super cheap.

You could go for the 18-55 and 50-200 VR kit lenses, but I find that the range those are in wind up forcing people to switch lenses a LOT, and if you're not super crazy photonut, that can get really old really fast.

Just some thoughts. Let us know what you decide on and good luck!

So I'm getting a "I'm not OVERLY serious" feel from your post... into it, but not going hog-wild.

Yes you pretty much have me pegged. I love photography, and take the work itself seriously, but it's a hobby, not a job. Someday I think it would be nice to make some cash at it, but that's not my main goal, or even a side goal at this point. We shall see what happens with that in the future.

But right now... it's for fun and personal growth only! :p

I am going to keep doing research. The help I get from this forum is, and always has been, excellent! Thanks Manaheim.

Most reactions

Back