I Need Some Advice On Rates....

Okaaaay, that's a little harsh...

What he's charging is absolutely my concern if I am going to be doing most of his digital work for him. He runs a public photography business here. I don't think it's that unreasonable to check him out a bit, ask about his shop's reputation, and find out what his rates actually are.

The last thing I want to do is take on any major work for someone who's not reliable. I'd only end up working and not getting paid and besides I've already indicated a questionable situation with him has occurred once. Going there is only common sense in this situation.

I will find out what he charges ...

I don't see how that's any of your concern.

Get what YOU need for doing the work. If he can sell it for $10 more or $500 more, that's his business.

Okaaaay, that's a little harsh...

What he's charging is absolutely my concern if I am going to be doing most of his digital work for him. ...

Not harsh... just big-boy stuff. I truly get what you're saying, and I understand how you've come to feel the way you do. You feel invested in the process. But it's the same for me when I work for an agency. I put my best effort into my work and feel that the designer is getting and keeping work due to my photography. But really, I'm just a source for him. If I try to charge base on what he charges, I'll be out the door and he'll easily find someone else. Like I said... it's just business.

The last thing I want to do is take on any major work for someone who's not reliable. I'd only end up working and not getting paid...

That's a whole separate issue, whether he marks up your work a lot or just a little. If he can't pay his bills on time, change the terms of the sale. I suggest net/now.... cash upon completion.

Good luck!

-Pete

Most reactions

Back