I want to buy a Canon Rebel XT

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by sabbath999, Jul 1, 2008.

1. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I want to buy one simply to play with it... I am a Nikon person, don't own a single lens to put on it, but still I am sorely tempted to get one of them refurbed from Adorama for $387.

I REALLY shouldn't though... because I will just end up getting lenses for it if I do, which will cut into my REAL camera money... still, it is tempting.

Anybody want to trade an XT for a D40? I have a spare one of those!

2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My brother has an XT and a 60mm macro lens. I've been itching to try the macro.

BTW, I have no desire to buy an XT. No disrespect, I'm too caught up in the OTHER system.

I do have a Canon film SLR and a couple of lenses buried deep in the back closet somewhere. Will probably stay there until I move again.

3. Dude, the XT is a POS. No offense to a lot of the people here who have one, but it is really entry-level. Even with good lenses the menus and buttons are crap. Don't do this to yourself, go buy a couple of bottles of good wine instead.

4. rdompor

rdompor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No disrespect to you either Flatline, but I find the Rebels to be more than adequate. How much do you really need to go through menus anyway? Punch in your preferences and leave them alone. As far as buttons go, it's a click wheel and the Av increment button that I'm concerned with and they're not difficult to handle at all. The only disadvantage I see with Rebels is the ISO performance at high ISO's and slow burst speeds - two things I don't necessarily find essential.

5. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have an XT and a 30D. I seem to use the XT far more than the 30D because it's smaller and lighter. In terms of ease of use and so on, I don't find it any problem. It's certainly capable of wedding photography as long as it has AF assist from the STE-2 or a 580EX etc.

My only problem is swopping between the XT and 30D when I have two cameras in use. The UIs are so different.

6. John_Olexa

John_Olexa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also use ( a lot) the XT. Along with my favorite lens 70-200 2.8 It's been good enough to get a lot of my images published.

It doesn't matter if you have the best camera on the market, if there's an idiot behind the veiw finder your images are still going to stink.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. spiffybeth

spiffybeth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    why do you want one?

8. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Because I like new toys, and that is a new toy.

9. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You know how it starts Sabbath? Starts with an XT and next thing you know, you get yearnings to spray paint all your lenses white! :lol:

10. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That might be cheaper - just get the can of white paint and spend the evening painting them (don't forget a little can of red paint and a small brush for the ever so important red ring!)

Isn't there a new toy for you Nikon you can get though? A new tripod? New -- er -- camo-cloths for you lenses???

11. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The rebel XT is a great camera for the price. I imagine you're not too worried about using this professionally since you have a D300, but it will certainly be fun to play with. My dad has a Rebel XT that I borrow when I could use 3 bodies. A great combo is the XT with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS (whewwww) or a 50 1.8/1.4. Some SHARP images have come out of these combos. I've wanted to give a D40 a try sometime, simply to play.

Also, the XT is a camera that if you find a good deal on, you can use it for a year, and sell it for nearly what you paid. They are going used for just about as much as a good deal on a new one. Figure, if you paid $389...what's the most you could lose after a year of use?? $389 if it breaks. You could probably sell it for $300 or more a year old. Was the $389 a camera that included a lens? My dad paid $379 body only from BuyDig.com a few months ago (new, usa, free ship).

If I had an XT still, I'd say let's just swap cameras for a month...we're only about 3-4 hours away. How's an EOS Elan II sound??? :D

12. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Shoot, you got me thinking too much.

I'll check with my dad. Maybe we could do a swap if you're interested. You basically have the same kits - XT/D40 with a Tamron 70-300. I'd probably let him use one of my cameras for the time being. Are you heading to Bolivar/Springfield any time soon?