I want to buy a Canon Rebel XT

I could be :)

I have a lot of family in Springfield, might be worth a visit... who knows, I might even go to the races with ya and watch you do your thing.

Adorama has them refurbed with the crappy kit lens (non-IS), or did the other day at least.

The biggest thing holding me back is that I mostly shoot telephoto so I would have to get something to shoot telephoto with.

You are exactly right, though... I could likely sell it for not too far from what I paid for it.

I do have the Tamron 70-300, but remember that won't autofocus on a D40.

It would be fun to have your views of the D40 though, after being used to Canons.

How far is California, MO from you? XX Speedway in California, MO is paying my way plus a couple bucks to take & sell photos there this Sunday evening. It's a 1/4 mile dirt track and the midgets race there.

For the life of me I don't understand why you would want to spend any money on an entry level camera if you already own a good one. It's a perfectly acceptable camera if you're posting jpgs or printing regular photo sizes, but it's just a little dSLR. Save your money on something that can really help you become a better image maker.

....printing regular photo sizes...

I've sold about ten 20x30 prints taken with the Rebel XT @ 800ISO and 1600ISO and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens. The people who purchased them were absolutely stunned with the image quality. (average eyes, nobody with experience critiquing shots from high end cameras)

I've sold about ten 20x30 prints taken with the Rebel XT @ 800ISO and 1600ISO and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens. The people who purchased them were absolutely stunned with the image quality. (average eyes, nobody with experience critiquing shots from high end cameras)

Exactly - A 6mp D70 will take as good a picture as a 1DsMk3 as long as you don't go for stupid print sizes. An 8mp XT will produce a picture as good as an 8mp 20D too.

There're too many gear snobs out there. I recall an article in Amateur Photographer in which one photographer had an exhibition of his work at the Royal Society. Somebody came up and grilled him over his gear. Turned out the guy was trying to one-up him with all the gear. "poo - you only have a Nikkormat Ftn. I have a Leica M4P with Leica lenses". The difference - the guy with the old and battered Nikkormat sold pictures while the other guy was too scared to get dust on it!

then get a D700, I've a 1OD PM me

There be a difference between a $400 toy that is available and a $3000 toy that is not even released yet...

How far is California, MO from you? XX Speedway in California, MO is paying my way plus a couple bucks to take & sell photos there this Sunday evening. It's a 1/4 mile dirt track and the midgets race there.

Actually California MO is about 3 hours away from me... much closer than Bolivar... but... I will be in Green Bay, WI this weekend.

Have fun!

Sabbath, you're real good at starting controversial discussions. This is gonna turn into a D40 vs XT debate before long, or even a Photog vs Gear rage.

What the heck, let's have at it.

For most of us on here, a D40 or XT would be of better value than the nice crap we spend our $ on. My lenses paid for themselves, but my decision to upgrade to 40Ds was for the feel when shooting with a 3lb lens for hours at a time, and the kick-buttedness of a 3" LCD.

Nuff said.

Sorry everyone, the Rebel is not bad... and that's about the highest compliment I can pay it.

The biggest thing holding me back is that I mostly shoot telephoto so I would have to get something to shoot telephoto with.

****, I use a tele with my XT. Sigma 135-400, no problems
Shot this Sat morning with that lens . I can't see how a higher priced Camera would have made a diffrence??

_Bike2copy.jpg

Nuff said.

Sorry everyone, the Rebel is not bad... and that's about the highest compliment I can pay it.

:lol:

I think what we all want you to say is more like "The Rebel XT is the best camera in the whole wide world." We aren't satisfied with anything short of the best.

:lol:

I think what we all want you to say is more like "The Rebel XT is the best camera in the whole wide world." We aren't satisfied with anything short of the best.

No. Let's be fair...

The XT takes damned good photos and photos that can be sold and which make money. I made money this week from a photo of the Vietnam Wall taken with my XT in manual focus - with the 17-85 IS lens.

My 30D takes slightly better images, focusses better and is easier to use in manual mode. That does not detract from the fact the XT works very well indeed.

Actually when I bought my 30D it was a last minute decision to get that rather than a second XT. I'd already ordered an XT but rang B&H to change the order. I like the improvements on the 30D although the XTi would probably have given the same improvements and a larger image size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back