I want to punch UPS In the face right now

I stopped using UPS years ago when they wouldn't allow me to return a set of bicycle wheels in the original manufacturers shipping boxes, which I had received a short time before via UPS. FedEx took them. I now strictly use FedEx and USPS.

They deal with prolly a million packages a day. Calculate the logistics for each penny in efficiency. They may drop the ball occasionally (I had a laptop go missing for two months with fed ex) but considering the sheer scope of operation I disagree with the sentiment of some of the other users and consider the parcel deliver business fairly amazing from a logistics standpoint and business model.
Absolutely and utterly irrelevant. When you enter an agreement to deliver a packgage from 'here' to 'there' arriving at 'this' time on 'that' date, you have a cotnractucal obligation to do so. If for some reason that obligation cannot be met, than the "deliverer" had best be making with the apologies and refunds. Saying that a package was left on a truck and delivery will be "reattempted" is rubbish. You get that package, you contact the recipient, and you send it out at THEIR convenience.

They deal with prolly a million packages a day. Calculate the logistics for each penny in efficiency. They may drop the ball occasionally (I had a laptop go missing for two months with fed ex) but considering the sheer scope of operation I disagree with the sentiment of some of the other users and consider the parcel deliver business fairly amazing from a logistics standpoint and business model.
Absolutely and utterly irrelevant. When you enter an agreement to deliver a packgage from 'here' to 'there' arriving at 'this' time on 'that' date, you have a cotnractucal obligation to do so. If for some reason that obligation cannot be met, than the "deliverer" had best be making with the apologies and refunds. Saying that a package was left on a truck and delivery will be "reattempted" is rubbish. You get that package, you contact the recipient, and you send it out at THEIR convenience.
you should see their operation.
mindblowing, it really is. I was inside one of those centers once where they divide them up by where they go.
Like anything else, mass quantity it is all about acceptable error percentages vs. cost. I am sure they could decrease error rates but the balance is for your benefit as well (pay less).

[
Like anything else, mass quantity it is all about acceptable error percentages vs. cost. I am sure they could decrease error rates but the balance is for your benefit as well (pay less).

I can totally agree with that. The problem is when you fall on the losing end of that percentage, call their customer service wondering what to do with the mangled $300 worth merchandise on your front steps and get a response like this. "I understand that your package was damaged in delivery. I also understand that we caused some property damage. In light of these events sir, **** you. Deal with it."

That's verbatim the response I got.

Well, maybe I'm paraphrasing a little, but that's what I heard. And they NEVER lifted a finger to help resolve the issue other than giving me Amazon's customer service phone number.

My camera went out for cleaning and was scheduled to be delivered back yesterday. They ALWAYS deliver late on base like 5pm+ so the 20 minute errand I ran at 11am seemed like a safe bet.. NO. Came home to a notice and that they'd attempt delivery the following day since it required signature. Ok, no biggie.. I stayed home all day long waiting on their 10:30-2pm time frame re-delivery and just now.. at 8:30pm there is nothing so I go back to check tracking and they juuuust updated it to say this: We've left the package in one of our vehicles. This may cause at least one business day delay. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

WHAT?? My D600 is where??

Not cool, UPS. Not cool.

Had something similar on many ocasions, cannot rely on UPS!!!!

Just wait until they start using drones. Can you just imagine what's going to happen to your package delivery then?
Customer: Where's my package
CallCenter: I'm sorry, we think it got blown out of the sky somewhere over Ohio. We're still trying to locate it.
Customer: ??
Call Center: We're hearing hunters are using them for target practice.

...acceptable error percentages...
In an ethical business there's no such thing.
it is normal operating procedure in any large quantity or piece work. Having a smaller error percentage is of course always better, but the volume of product moved (or produced) is balanced with the amount of errors (or defects as discovered by quality control).
course you know this. Say they have a error rate of 11 per thousand. This would actually probably be number within range so they wouldn't be slowing the trucks down or the lines down at the distribution hub. Doesn't mean they wouldn't want a LOWER rate, but nothing is perfect and it is balanced with speed and cost.
But you know this. I prefer fed ex as well, however fed ex was the ones that lost that laptop I was talking about...:bouncingsmileys:
sometimes the manufacturer will pay for the mistake. I order a door with glass from Anderson windows. First two time it showed up broken. Last time they gave it to me for free. But they play the same percentages. They send out a thousand if they have to eat the cost of twenty that is a acceptable amount. just business.

Just wait until they start using drones. Can you just imagine what's going to happen to your package delivery then?
CallCenter: I'm sorry, we think it got blown out of the sky somewhere over Ohio. We're still trying to locate it.
Call Center: We're hearing hunters are using them for target practice.
okay, this is funny...

CallCenter: It got blown out of the sky somewhere over Ohio. F***ing deal with it, asshole.
Call Center: We're hearing hunters are using them for target practice, and we don't care because we already have your money. Eat **** and die. [click]

This is probably a more accurate representation of how that phone call would sound based on my experience with them.

CallCenter: It got blown out of the sky somewhere over Ohio. F***ing deal with it, asshole.
Call Center: We're hearing hunters are using them for target practice, and we don't care because we already have your money. Eat **** and die. [click]

This is probably a more accurate representation of how that phone call would sound based on my experience with them.
so did you tip the u.p.s. driver? Always tip. If you want your next package to show up on time and not broken.

so did you tip the u.p.s. driver? Always tip. If you want your next package to show up on time and not broken.

No. I wasn't home to tip them, nor would I have if I were. Besides, the "Give me money or I will break your stuff" type of blackmail mentality doesn't go over well with me. Also, the likelihood of the same driver visiting my house twice is almost nil. I don't know if they work different routes, the turnover is just that high or what... but it's NEVER the same person twice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back