I want to work my way in to the cokin P sistem...

tokaji michael

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to work my way in to the cokin P sistem and I really want to know If does any one had any problem with it. My budget is really low and I think this would be the best option

I have the system, I currently use it on my Nikon stuff so I have the 52mm adapter that lets me use it on most of my standard Nikon lenses (28mm, 50mm, 35mm etc.). But lets discuss the system a bit,

Its not exactly "high quality" so dont expect something that will stand the test of time. That being said, I dont use mine all that much (its mostly a holder for the graduated ND I have for it) and its faired really well. I have had it for 3 years now and no issues thus far. It still holds the filters quite well and does what it needs to.

The filters are good (not great) but I cant say its that limiting for my hobby work. I really have it for the Grad ND as thats one of the last filters you actually need if you want to capture everything in one exposure. Most other things can be corrected in post (assuming you are talking digital here).

I have not had any serious problems with it and would happily recommend it, as you note its a better price than the competition. I will admit there is some cool stuff out there when it comes to holders that can hold and rotate polarized filters which is neat but at the price bracket the cokin sits thats just out of the question.

If your budget is tight you might find mimicking the filters effects in post processing suits you better. There are a few filters that can't realistically be reproduced in post (the CPL is the main one IMO).

I have to admit I like playing with hardware filters much more than processing files on the computer myself, but there are still many filters that just have no real point for digital photography, pretty much all the simple color ones (warming/cooling...) fit into this class.

As Dave says the quality of cokin filters is generally acceptable, the big limit of the P series is with large & UWA lenses. Adapter rings may be available upto 82mm but with wide angle lenses you'll see vignetting long before this size. Cokin have wider series to solve this issue, but P or even A series are fine for most photography.

Buy a circular polarizer that fits your largest lens (largest in terms of filter thread size.) Then pick up some adapters to attach that polarizer to your smaller lenses. I think that is all you need. I rarely use a polarizer and don't even own any other types of filters.

Most reactions

Back