Idea for a photo showing convergence? - Georgia

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dmargrave, May 6, 2008.

1. dmargrave

dmargrave TPF Noob!

Hi All!

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to seek help for this, but here goes:

I've been tasked with shooting a photo for my little brother's college graduation gift. My step-dad is writing a poem for him (as has become a tradition) and the ideas involved are "Wrinkles in the mind" - "Rain water running together to form a river" - "Learning things, connecting to a big idea".

Just in general, "convergence" would be the theme. My brother is graduating with a physics degree and will be attending graduate school for nuclear engineering. Therefore I think a industrial, engineering or architectural type subject matter would be fitting.

Any ideas on what I could shoot for this? I'm thinking about it, but would definitely appreciate some ideas from the more creative.

Thanks!

-Daniel

2. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Skyscraper with lots of windows and vertical lines. Field filled with rows of wheat, or a recently plowed field, a straight highway stretch from above, etc.

3. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Power lines or Railway tracks sorta converging in together - like when the line splits off in different directions?

4. dmargrave

dmargrave TPF Noob!

Thanks for the tips! I made a short list yesterday and rode through downtown Atlanta looking for some subject matter. Tough assignment, really. I ended up getting a few trainyard/track shots but I'm going to hit nature up this evening and see if I can find something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

Wow your first shot as I'm looking at it felt like I was going to fall forward. Cool shots.

Do you have the color versions?

6. dmargrave

dmargrave TPF Noob!

Thanks! :)

Yep, have the originals. I'll need to get them when I get home, touch up, and post. I think they look best in black and white though.

7. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree. Sometimes color can distract form the subject, particularly when it is lines and forms and shapes, not something that depends on color to be rendered. Nice work.

8. dmargrave

dmargrave TPF Noob!

^^ Thanks. About to post up the color versions for anyone's curiousity. I didn't go out and shoot more last night. Bought a new toy and was mesmerized by it :)

9. dmargrave

dmargrave TPF Noob!

In color - not very impressive :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

Is there a way to make the shot look vintage? Black n white better but make it look like it was taken with a camera from 70s in film...

When not black n white I feel like they need more noise. Holga look or something.