If only...

Mad_Gnome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photo-guy.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure we've all had these moments. The moment when you realize you have an incredible shot in front of you. Magazine-worthy, even. And you don't have a camera with you.

Last night, I took Mom out to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, The Stockpot in Portsmouth, NH. It's got great food, and the downstairs dining room looks straight out on the river toward the west. You can see the tugboats docked, the bridges upriver, and of an evening during the summer, you get a spectacular view of the sunset up the Piscataqua River. During the winter, however, the sun sets so early that typically, it's just a nice place to have a a tasty dinner.

Lately, I have not been carrying my camera with me as often as usual. My kit had been stolen out of my last truck at one point, so I had gotten out of the habit of carrying it regularly unless I was going to a gig. The vehicle I drive now is much more secure (being 14 years newer) but I hadn't gotten back into the habit of carrying my gear yet. Out of habit, I steered us downstairs to the riverview dining room, and we were almost the only people there, so we got to sit by the plate glass window looking out on the river.

Lo and behold, there sat at anchor a tanker loading up at the saltyard (no more than 200 yards away) with every light on the ship lit up. From that focal point, there was a trail of lights from buildings, to ships, to bridges, to buildings and ships on the other side of the river, leading the eye in a march from one side of the view to the other. It was an image that belonged on the cover of Popular Photography. I kicked myself for not having SOMETHING with me. What I would have given for a medium- or large-format camera with a panoramic lens, or even a Sigma 10-20mm lens for my DSLR. Hell, even my 5D with the paltry 18-70mm kit lens would have been better than what I had: NOTHING. D'OH! :banghead:

Yeah, on a whim, I went to San Francisco today, and it was such a lovely day, I wish I had something other than my toy camera with me.

Another time, I was waiting for the bus, but for some reason the driver wouldn't let me and a couple other people (including an old woman with a cane) on. I stepped back to wait for another bus, but the old woman stood at the bus door cursing for a solid minute, dropped the f-bomb, and SWUNG HER CANE AT THE BUS, CRACKING THE DOOR! That would have been a cool action shot. :D

I have moments like that too. Now I'm trying to carry my camera with me more and for some reason, I'm just not seeing the same scenes. Could it be that having my camera is lessening the appeal of the possibilities? I wish this town had more photogenic places/events.

I had the same feeling more than once. I finally bought a high quality point & shoot, (Canon SD600) so it will never be a problem again. I can stick that baby right in my pocket, or carry it in its tiny Lowepro belt case.

Sure it isn't the same as an SLR, but it is certainly good enough to make prints & small enlargements with, especially outdoors.

Don't fight it people. That's why P&S cameras are so popular.

It is not the moments you miss it is the moments that you capture. You only missed a photograph of the scene. The shot will always be with you in your memory. Referencing said memories comes in handy. Consider it as an idea for a photograph. Next step is to figure out when that shot will happen again and be prepared.

That being said... Yeah I missed my share of shots. Mostly when I am skiing. Somehow I would rather be riding then shooting. If conditions are right we take a "photo shoot" run.

Well as far as the getting stolen thing goes that's something you have to face you just always have to remember if you bring it in your vehicle with you you need to take it with you it really sucks but anything left in a car is liable to be stolen it happened to me once after that I never lave anything in my car locked or not

Most reactions

New Topics

Back