iMacs Now Have IPS Displays

musicaleCA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Garbz will love this. For anyone who didn't catch this, Apple's making IPS displays now:

See here

And all for the price of what some IPS displays go for all on their own. Dare I say, this is a deal?

[sarcasm]Why replace one part when you can get a whole new system?[/sarcasm]

...and I am not anti-Apple. If I could afford their monitors I would.

I feel about the same way. I can't get past their unecessary price tags.

Ah, but their price tags are necessary, because they sell so few units. :D

I wouldn't say $1199 is expensive for such a powerful all-in-one computer, not to mention you get the world'd best and most advanced operating system. Plus it doesn't look like **** and isn't made of plastic, like most of PC's...

Yeah but once again MS has helped to increase Mac sales by introducing a Windoze update.

I wouldn't say $1199 is expensive for such a powerful all-in-one computer, not to mention you get the world'd best and most advanced operating system. Plus it doesn't look like **** and isn't made of plastic, like most of PC's...

You misunderstand Windoze purchasers. They WANT slop.

Mac is rocking their sales... PC's - not so much.

Mac sales were very impressive for the quarter. Data provided by market research firm IDC showed the entire PC industry down more than 3 percent for April, May, and June, but Apple sold 4 percent more computers this quarter than it did during the same quarter in 2008. The company's laptops were responsible for that surge: MacBook and MacBook Pro shipments were up 13 percent.

iPhone, Mac sales continue to propel Apple forward | Apple - CNET News

If they're too expensive, someone forgot to tell the consumers buying them. Not only that, but even in a recession they're gaining market share while PC's lose it.

I am a Linux user sans my Adobe work, but I wouldn't jump the gun on Win 7 this quick. A couple other friends who are die hard Linux users but use Windows at work have been running 7 for a couple months and have very few complaints.

Apple might be stable and safe (obviously...its Unix), but since it no longer runs on proprietary hardware, only the OS has any added value, the rest is just price gouging.

Build your own computer with quality parts and stick the current Apple OS (snow leopard?) on it for a fantastic machine, that excels at anything but gaming, and it will be at a very reasonable price.

Should've known this was going to start a Mac vs PC thread.

I am a Linux user sans my Adobe work, but I wouldn't jump the gun on Win 7 this quick. A couple other friends who are die hard Linux users but use Windows at work have been running 7 for a couple months and have very few complaints.

Apple might be stable and safe (obviously...its Unix), but since it no longer runs on proprietary hardware, only the OS has any added value, the rest is just price gouging.

Build your own computer with quality parts and stick the current Apple OS (snow leopard?) on it for a fantastic machine, that excels at anything but gaming, and it will be at a very reasonable price.

First, OS X isn't Unix. It's a Linux/FreeBSD hybrid, with a LOT of proprietary Apple stuff thrown in for good measure, the Core APIs being among them (Core Audio, Core Data, etc.). And their own file system (which has huge benefits over NTFS). Stability is great because the hardware and software engineers talk to each other. Security is bound to go down the tube sooner or later, as more people adopt Apple gear. Of course it's easier to secure because of the Linux underpinnings, but still, eventually there will be serious problems, mostly in the form of attacks that exploit flaws in seemingly unrelated software tied to the OS (like Quicktime) to circumvent all that Linux solidity. The best security solution is, and likely will always be, a Unix firewall.

Windows 7 is likely to be much more stable, simply because MS got it together and went back to the NT architecture, which was so successful in no small part to it's very, very Unix-like way of operating.

As for gaming, that's only dominated by Windows because of DirectX, and it being so firmly entrenched in the gaming industry. It might happen that somewhere down the line, Apple decides to take a real bite out of it by making it easy for developers to produce games for both Windows and OS X; they're good at that kind of stuff when they want to be. My suspicion is though that they're quite happy to let gamers run Boot Camp for the time being, whilst they put their efforts elsewhere.

Should've known this was going to start a Mac vs PC thread.

First, OS X isn't Unix. It's a Linux/FreeBSD hybrid, with a LOT of proprietary Apple stuff thrown in for good measure, the Core APIs being among them (Core Audio, Core Data, etc.). And their own file system (which has huge benefits over NTFS). Stability is great because the hardware and software engineers talk to each other. Security is bound to go down the tube sooner or later, as more people adopt Apple gear. Of course it's easier to secure because of the Linux underpinnings, but still, eventually there will be serious problems, mostly in the form of attacks that exploit flaws in seemingly unrelated software tied to the OS (like Quicktime) to circumvent all that Linux solidity. The best security solution is, and likely will always be, a Unix firewall.

Windows 7 is likely to be much more stable, simply because MS got it together and went back to the NT architecture, which was so successful in no small part to it's very, very Unix-like way of operating.

As for gaming, that's only dominated by Windows because of DirectX, and it being so firmly entrenched in the gaming industry. It might happen that somewhere down the line, Apple decides to take a real bite out of it by making it easy for developers to produce games for both Windows and OS X; they're good at that kind of stuff when they want to be. My suspicion is though that they're quite happy to let gamers run Boot Camp for the time being, whilst they put their efforts elsewhere.

Linux? I didn't literally mean it was Unix, but it is not Linux.
Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Leopard is an Open Brand UNIX 03 registered product on the Intel platform."

Huh? Oh fook. Somewhere along the line I got my kernels mixed-up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back