In Tanzania, apparently size does matter...

Pukka312

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.uniquexpressionsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In a country, hell, an entire continent, that is known for poverty, you'd be surprised on the level of competition to one-up your neighbor here. Its kind of weird driving around Tanzania and seeing so many Range Rovers and Mercedes driving around. But, that's the mentality. And it's definitely a big part of the photography business here...

One of my big competitors here lugs around a large telephoto lens (one that makes the 70-200 look like a baby sister), and he carries it around to impress the masses. To me, it's one hell of an expensive marketing tool. Unless he is out shooting lions and giraffes on a safari in his spare time, it's a completely useless piece of glass for his work here. Even my dying-to-have 70-200 lens would be a waste of my money here, and it's generally one of the top wedding lenses to own!

Why useless? Because I kid you not, photographers and videographers here can stand next to the bride and groom. They can even block the bride and groom from those patiently watching from church pews. It may be tacky, but I tried to stay back out of the way and the damn videographers block all my shots, so now I'm stuck cramming myself next to them to get the shots I'd miss if I stayed back.

So, here it's all about the lens...or the camera. Most of my clients say something absurd like "I can't wait to see your camera!" and I honestly want to knock them upside the head. Half my competitors here have the cameras I'd love to own, a studio of iMacs for editing, and glass I can only afford to drool over. I even saw 1 client look seriously disappointed when I pulled my camera out with just my 85mm lens attached. Friends of mine ask me to bring bags of equipment with me to my weddings just so that I can "impress" the crowd, forgetting that I'm the one that has to lug the damn equipment everywhere so it doesn't get stolen.

What's the point of this drivel? Basically, I feel like an insecure man trying to boast it's not about the size, it's how you use it. But my business has done fine here, despite my inadequate arsenal of lenses, prosumer level camera, and my back-up-PC-laptop-turned-primary-editing-machine. And even though my clients like to insist its about the equipment, I can testify that they chose me because of the finished product, not the equipment i used to create it. ...though, once I can get my equipment upgraded, I may be wearing it as a badge of honor too :)

(sorry, no questions with this post, just a commentary I guess)

Just buy cheap chinese knockoff grip for your camera - instantly makes it look bigger and more pro-like and more crowd pleasing, all for about £30

Oh, and you can put in an exta battery or something. I forget what the real purpose is - I just buy them to look clever.

Image is important no matter where you are in the world ;)

That said if you need a good chuckle have a read here: Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on! - Canon Digital Photography Forums :)

Also if the videographer keeps getting in the way I'd suggest networking and seeing if you can't get your own videographer on your books so that you can offer the services of both of you for prospective brides. Not only does that mean you look better than your competitors packages, but you can also then discuss how you and the videographer will shoot each section of the wedding so that you'd both need not be tripping over each other and the bride/groom

I am ashamed to admit I had to look Tanzania up on the map.

Image is important no matter where you are in the world ;)

That said if you need a good chuckle have a read here: Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on! - Canon Digital Photography Forums :)

Also if the videographer keeps getting in the way I'd suggest networking and seeing if you can't get your own videographer on your books so that you can offer the services of both of you for prospective brides. Not only does that mean you look better than your competitors packages, but you can also then discuss how you and the videographer will shoot each section of the wedding so that you'd both need not be tripping over each other and the bride/groom

Yes, expanding to videography is currently on my list of ideas, though I have reservations. At present, my strength is quality over the competition...and I would need to offer that same quality with video. I have a multitude of ideas of how I would change the videography here, but have no one qualified to execute my ideas. I am not sure where everyone here picked up their photography/videography education, but they have *ahem* interesting techniques. They definitely focus on tight shots, with both photo and video...and I'm talking tight as in 'close up of the face with the hair and neck cropped out.' I'd love to expand to include wedding cinematography and am pretty sure I'd blow the competition out of the water if I had the talent to execute it.

My only other reservation is pricing. Right now I have my price set close to what my biggest competitor offers for both video and photography. (I have no idea how he clears a profit actually in his pricing). I'm by no means raking in the dough, but I've pushed the bounds of comfortable pricing for the public and worry that adding quality video may cause a small loss in clients. But, I do think if I found someone capable of executing some great quality video, I'd go for it.

Soooooo, did somebody roll out of bed this morning on the wrong side and walk right into the wall. lol

Sorry, go ahead and vent..... we are here to listen.

But, I do think if I found someone capable of executing some great quality video, I'd go for it.
... but only if they stay back far enough for you to get your shots. :playball:

I don't think you will "win" until you begin to play their game. Can you hire some assistants? Get a video camera, give it to one assistant. Give the camera bag to another assistant. Hire yet another assistant to shove other photographers out of the way. Get some really LARGE lenses (even if you don't actually use them). Make it a practice to make a BIG entrance, toting a lot of gear, making a lot of noise, and whatever else is in vogue in your area.

Oh, and charge MORE than everybody else.

I don't think you will "win" until you begin to play their game. Can you hire some assistants? Get a video camera, give it to one assistant. Give the camera bag to another assistant. Hire yet another assistant to shove other photographers out of the way. Get some really LARGE lenses (even if you don't actually use them). Make it a practice to make a BIG entrance, toting a lot of gear, making a lot of noise, and whatever else is in vogue in your area.

Oh, and charge MORE than everybody else.

Lol...my biggest competitor has a team of about 5-6 for each wedding...1 video camera, 1 camera, and a whole lot of random guys to do who knows what. :) I'm kind of an anomaly here with my 1 woman show. :) But it's ok because I'm a "white girl" and for whatever reason, lots of people want the white girl.

Oh, and I do charge more than 95% of my competition :) I can name 2 who price higher than me, but deservedly so as their skill and experience level are superior to mine. Those 2 are also the only competition that I know who don't offer videography too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the Tanganyika Standard Independence Day newspaper from 1961.

I think that country is trying to compensate for something. :p

Most reactions

Back