Infrared shots for canon s70

hp60035

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's possible to take infrared shots using a filter for a canon powershot s70, or any filter for that matter, i'm pretty sure it's not possible. But does anyone know a good way to manipulate a photo using PS to make it appear to be an infrared shot. I really like infrared shots and would like to produce a few of my own, thank you.

Egh, well since IR is a different spectrum it's hard to tell what objects in a certain color shot would be what color in an IR photo. I don't think they map one to one so it would be kinda hard to just say, make all the greens white or something like that. I guess you could just play with the levels and hue/saturation untill you got something IRish.

alright ty, so basically you'd have to be able to use a camera that is capable of using filters to get a true IR photo. I suppose i'll just play around w the levels until i can afford a different camera, thank you.

If your sensor is capable of capturing IR spectrum then you should be able to just put an IR filter on and take IR shots. I imagine that your sensor is capable of this, most CMOS sensors are.

Nothing is going to come close to using IR film. If you really like it, why not pick up an inexpensive, older film camera and a #25 red filter? You'll love your results. :D Nothing I've seen done in PS compares, frankly. I use a Pentax ME for IR, but any older camera without an infrared film advance would suffice. They're out there, and they're cheap!

nice idea terry, i am interested in purchasing a film slr but i am trying to learn more about the basics in photography using my digital before i go wasting a bunch of roles of film. But once i feel i have a good grasp i want to invest in a film slr. Also, do you think they make filters (IR) that would fit on the tiny lense of a canon s70 (point and shoot)? And when shooting IR pics with a film camera all you need is a special filter and you can just use normal color film correct? thx for the replies

hp60035 said:
nice idea terry, i am interested in purchasing a film slr but i am trying to learn more about the basics in photography using my digital before i go wasting a bunch of roles of film. But once i feel i have a good grasp i want to invest in a film slr. Also, do you think they make filters (IR) that would fit on the tiny lense of a canon s70 (point and shoot)? And when shooting IR pics with a film camera all you need is a special filter and you can just use normal color film correct? thx for the replies
For trying it now on your camera, you might look into gelatin filters you can cut to size. I'm not certain of the level of opacity you'll get from them, but I'll bet someone could tell you what to get if you told them what you're trying to do. This may or may not work. ;)

And you'll want an IR FILM, which is a B&W film, not color. I use Kodak HIE because, for all its finicky ways, it's still the simplest to use, and because it's B&W you could even develop it at home (assuming you wanted to take things that far) if you're careful. But a pro lab would develop it for you. HIE is 35mm IR film, and there is even more for 120 (medium format) cameras.

Oh, and I just want to say this: I'm not familiar with your camera, but you referred to it as a "point & shoot". With all due respect, you really won't learn much in the "basics of photography" with a P&S. That's the whole point of this kind of camera, to point, shoot, and get an image of passable quality. You'll learn a ton more the second you start playing around with a SLR. A beginner's class would help things along, too. :) Good luck!

thanks guys...Terri, maybe i shouldn't have called it a point and shoot as I dont just use it to take snapshots. With the s70 i still have complete control over the camera like i would an slr and take advantage of that. I just didn't pay the money for the digital slr and wanted to learn all the basics, previously i was competely ignorant to what most any feature on a camera did, f stop, shutter speed, iso, etc etc. Once i feel i have a good grasp though i am quite interested in buying an slr for a while though i think i will stick with digital as i am taking lots and lots of photos of the same thing until i get it "just right". That is part of the reason i went digital first instead of slr, instand feedback on what i am doing right/wrong. As far as photo classes go i dont think i have the money for that right now either as i am a struggling college student, but i have been reading and looking at forums nonstop to learn all i can in hopes to one day have a portfolio i can look at with pride. thank you very much for all of your suggestions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back