Interested in Photography

SLR...single lens reflex
dSLR...digital
With these types of cameras, you look through the view finder to see what the lens sees (through use of a mirror etc.)
As opposed to a point and shoot where you and the lens see two very similar views.

I have a feeling I'll have to take some basic classes. I like to take pics of just about everything so I'm not sure if I could just choose one thing to take pics of. yes, photography sounds a lot more complicated than it seems. I'm just getting into the idea of photography but I know I will come to love it as I learn more about it. What is free lance photography and what are your opinions on it?....someone I know said that I would have to major in art and minor in photography to learn how to be good at it. Is that true or do most people just take photography basics and do their own thing?

I'll definitely check out the cameras listed. by the way, im a newb to this, what is a SLR?

Is this a wind up, not knowing what an SLR is a very bad start

Last edited:
Well first of all you can't just jump into photography and call yourself a pro. (not saying you are)like everything else it takes allot of time and experience. for example my neighbors paid a (so called pro) photographer almost $400 for some family portraits. Out of the 20 pics he gave them Not one of them were savable! everyone of them were blown out or just plain ugly! Then They found a new ("Pro") who also charged them $300+ for some family pics. Again out of 25-30 pics 2 were acceptable. Now these were supposed to be "professional photographers" they both had websites, yellow book ads,business cards that all claimed "PRO PICS" but in the end they were just a couple of kids who thought they were good enough to call themselves a pro. Number one: The gear. I have more than $20,000 invested in gear. ( bodies,lenses,grips,flashes,strobes,backdrops,umbrellas,ect.ect. Am I a pro? Nope! Gear does not make you a pro! Number two:classes, I have taken quite a few classes on photography. Does that make me a pro? 3rd: time: Well my grandmother was a pro for 30+ years and got me interested in it when I was very young. I've probably been doing it for over 20 years now (on and off) and the most important one. would be Talent! I've seen 16 year old kids that could compose a better shot that me! If you have a eye for it? That is the best start! I am far from being a pro nor will I ever probably call myself one. just keep in mind some of the things involved in this Hobby/career. It's extremely expensive, addicting,and always changing!

Well first of all you can't just jump into photography and call yourself a pro. (not saying you are)like everything else it takes allot of time and experience. for example my neighbors paid a (so called pro) photographer almost $400 for some family portraits. Out of the 20 pics he gave them Not one of them were savable! everyone of them were blown out or just plain ugly! Then They found a new ("Pro") who also charged them $300+ for some family pics. Again out of 25-30 pics 2 were acceptable. Now these were supposed to be "professional photographers" they both had websites, yellow book ads,business cards that all claimed "PRO PICS" but in the end they were just a couple of kids who thought they were good enough to call themselves a pro. Number one: The gear. I have more than $20,000 invested in gear. ( bodies,lenses,grips,flashes,strobes,backdrops,umbrellas,ect.ect. Am I a pro? Nope! Gear does not make you a pro! Number two:classes, I have taken quite a few classes on photography. Does that make me a pro? 3rd: time: Well my grandmother was a pro for 30+ years and got me interested in it when I was very young. I've probably been doing it for over 20 years now (on and off) and the most important one. would be Talent! I've seen 16 year old kids that could compose a better shot that me! If you have a eye for it? That is the best start! I am far from being a pro nor will I ever probably call myself one. just keep in mind some of the things involved in this Hobby/career. It's extremely expensive, addicting,and always changing!

Having said all that.... Photography can be very rewarding. Not necessarily financially, but from a personal satisfaction point of view.
It's also a great stress relief.

Are you in school? If you are in high school, does it offer any sort of photography or photo-journalism opportunities? I'm thinking the school paper (or a community paper) is a great place to start out.

If not, then the library would be a good idea to read up on the topic. Photography is a lot harder than owning a fancy camera, of course, and you'll need to know the basics before even thinking about being a professional.

Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back