iPad as a portfolio?

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just a fledgling photographer doing a few shoots every once in a while but I'm working my way up to the professional league. As soon as I saw the iPad the other day on a tv commercial all I could think about was how I could upload images on it and show potential clients that I meet, clients during a proofing session, or other ways to showcase my work.

What do you professionals to do this as a living think? Does anyone have a digital portfolio (besides a laptop) to show your work?

Thanks for your time and comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing. seems like it might be kind of cool. If I was with a photographer and they pulled out the ipad instead of a book, I would think it was prett neat

I would use it to show people on the road, but NEVER try to do a sales or ordering appoitnment with one. You need to PROJECT and to walk your clients through all the sizes, you will have a tough time trying to sell a suitable wall size portrait if what they first saw was the screen on the ipad. But would be SUPER cool to have with you at networking events, take on the road (Depending on the kind of work you want to do.) We're portrait photogs and have been doing projection for the last 4 years. With a $1000 projector from best buy and Pro Select. Sales have skyrocketed. Good Luck!

If I was going for the "cool factor", I'd pass on the ipad and go for a tablet laptop.

iPad would probably have a nice bit of wow factor (at least for a while, until they become old news) but I don't think that you can calibrate the display, which might be troublesome for something like photography.

If I was going for the "cool factor", I'd pass on the ipad and go for a tablet laptop.

I would have to go with the tablet too. If you are going to do it, why not do it with a computer.

I would have to go with the tablet too. If you are going to do it, why not do it with a computer.
Because like Mike said calibration is still an issue.

Unless you are doing canvas prints, photography is still a paper media. Prints is what goes into frames.

By using a computer as a display for your port or your proofs, you are setting yourself up for disappointed customers.

I also agree with the calibration problem. And the wow factor. Today's new wow technology is tomorrow's old news.

If you already use Apple computers (and let's assume that you don't calibrate them since they're already pretty good...), would the colors be about the same on the iPad?

Wouldn't this be better than showing proofs on a website that the client accesses on his/her own computer where there is no telling what quality screen they have?

If you already use Apple computers (and let's assume that you don't calibrate them since they're already pretty good...), would the colors be about the same on the iPad?

Very good point! Needs to be seen.

Wouldn't this be better than showing proofs on a website that the client accesses on his/her own computer where there is no telling what quality screen they have?

Anything would be better than showing proofs on a website imoh. When you present proofs in person, you can influence the sale, you can upsale. How does one upsale when the client is visiting a website?

Anyway, it is never a very good idea to by a new product when it first comes out. Always better to let someone else deal with the original bugs and there are always some. Plus, the price could drop quite a bit after not too long. Remember the iPhone.

It might be a good way to wow some of the trendier type people. Might be a worthwhile business expense if you were wanting one anyways.

ipads-taped1.jpg

hey i feel ipad is best to showcase the pics to clients..before i was facing the problem of organizing d pics but now i am using Sort shots app.It is the best app for organizing pics as i can provide tags to the pics..with tthe help of this app, i can also play musical slide show which makes my clients quite happy. :)

Its a pretty cool gadjet. its quick to move from picture to pictures. Calibration would be the only issue but my friend is keeping his portfolio work on the ipad just in case in needs to show the work to someone quickly.., As per him, Its pretty much calibrated since the picture he has on the ipad look incredibly close to the real thing. On the top of that, the highquality screen of the ipad totally makes your pictures pops. great tool for what it is. but for the price, i would buy a lens.

Most reactions

Back