Is AiS the same as AF-S..? saw a Nikkor 50mm 1.4

Can the sub-D200 Nikon bodies do stop-down metering like the Canons can do? With the Canons (at least the mid-level models like 10D+) I think you can use aperture priority mode with non-Canon lenses even though they can't communicate with the body, and the body meters off of the lens at whatever aperture it's set to (can't use G type lenses that don't have the aperture ring).

I don't thinks so, it's been my experience that you get ZERO metering information on non-cpu lenses, unless you're using a d200,d300, d700, or d2/d3.

I don't thinks so, it's been my experience that you get ZERO metering information on non-cpu lenses, unless you're using a d200,d300, d700, or d2/d3.
Thanks for your reply. From what I understand the Canons meter off the lens without any data being entered into the camera (like you would do with a D200+) whenever they don't detect a lens set-up for Canon cameras (with the aperture index or electronic circuit). Since the "incompatible" lens isn't being held open at max aperture, the camera can meter off the lens at whatever aperture it's set to. I'm hoping Derrel or one of the hard-core Canonites has experience with this :p.

AF-D: AF plus additional focusing distance data. Mechanical AF coupling like AF.

Thanks. Cleared it up much better than I did, but I still don't like the above line. Technically correct in the description but it doesn't belong in the list. D like G denotes the chip used in the lens, independent of their AF notation and also labelled at the end of the lens. The autofocus lenses are either AF or AF-S independent of the D or G.

e.g.
AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Interestingly enough I just realised that the only thing Nikon is inconsistent about in their naming of the lenses is the VR designation.
AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED VRII is the successor to the above lenses...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back