Is cropping my only option??

Darton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question. I should really already know the answer but somehow it has eluded me. when I open a new picture in PS and I want to resize it for the first time. Do I have to crop it down to the size I want and loose half the picture or is there a way to resize the picture to any size I want without it croping out parts of the picture to make it fit? My problem has been I take a shot that I like but to get it to fit to the size print I want I have to loose parts of the picture, then the shot dosen't look as good or I loose important areas of the photo.

The Image
1125.jpg

Open Image, Go to "Image" Menu, select "Image Size"
Picture21.jpg

Type in desired dimentions, Hit Ok * note - Under constrained proportions the second is auto filled)
Picture22-1.jpg

Picture23.jpg

Save as normal

Results
011-1_2.jpg

Screencaps taken of Photoshop CS3 process

what about to make it a particular inch size? I see ho to do it but it dosen't always let me make it the exact size I need. I guess to keep it scaled. So in that case I'd have to have some of the pic cropped out??

what about to make it a particular inch size? I see ho to do it but it dosen't always let me make it the exact size I need. I guess to keep it scaled. So in that case I'd have to have some of the pic cropped out??

In the dialog box where you see "Document size" right below the pixel adjustment there is an option for inches, just adjust it there.

I've never had any issues doing it that way but that's not to say it does not happen.

ok I have the scaling box checked. So when I want to change it to like an 8x10 it will auto set the other number I guess so it dosen't distort the shot? Like if I set the width to 8 the height automatically changes to like 12.4 or something like that.

Yes you got it, but its better to shoot to crop, I always do, then use the crop tool from the tools palette, its the one thats selected on Battou's palette , select it, then look along the top bar you can enter dimensions & resolution, 300 for prints, as soon as you crop save it again in another folder this will leave the original image intact. All cameras "35mm or digi" produce weird, hard to find frames for sizes so most togs shoot to crop. H

ps Image resize box will not let you input two sizes as you are working the full image, use the crop tool or have long skinny prints, your choice.

I should save my files at 300PPI for printing??

If you don't want to crop your image, you can alternately set the long side to 10 in. Your photograph will not fill the paper, but you will have the full image, with some white space.

Oh....I know what you mean now....Sorry, I've understood that aspect for some time and it faild to click. You are going to want to set it up in a letterbox format for printing and cut the bars off the print afterwords.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back