Is It Normal

Al-Wazeer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello
when i take - with my Nikon D40 - shots with slow shutter speeds my camera takes a loong time at saving the picture.

i used a canon 350d and took shots with slow shutter speeds and it saved it just in one sec maybe!

is there a problem with my d40 or maybe my card is bad quality so it needs a lot of time to save a long exposed picture, or that's normal for my camera?? ( i use an SD lexar 2GB memo )

Just a guess, but I think you've got the "Long Exposure Noise Reduction" turned on. If memory serves correctly this mode can seriously slow down writing to the card while the camera processes the noise.

yes i do turn on the noise reduction ...
so that's it? no problem with camera ??
or should i check to close the noise reduction, and take a long exposed picture?

because in short exposed pic it saves it realy quick no problem! even with the noise reduction on

Ok, just checked the D40 manual and the answer is yes, turn off noise reduction when doing a long exposure (1 second or longer) and the write speed will go back to normal, but the resulting images may be noisier than you'd like.

When you have the long exposure noise reduction turned on, the camera takes 2 exposures. First the real exposure, then it takes another one with the shutter closed but for the same duration. The second exposure is just so the camera has a reference point of which pixels are causing noise, and then subtracts that from the original image. You can test this -- if you take a long exposure, the camera will be frozen for exactly the same amount of time while it does the reference exposure.

Personally I turned off that feature when I was using a D40, it used to drive me nuts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back