Is it possible to do all of this at once??

bbaker35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, Ok..I'm new to Photoshop and have some questions. First off, when photographers take shots of long events like a football game, or a concert how do they take the time to fix all of the pictures.

My Scenario:

I shot about 100 pictures tonight at a dance competition at school (probably about 100 shots) I keep all of my photos on an image tank, where you put the CF card directly in and the pictures are transfered. The only problem is when I transfer the pictures they are in the tank as 48 in. X 36 in. prints. The file size is between 3 and 5 megs. each. So I have been opening each photo individually and clickin on image size changing it to 4X6 and closing it. This is taking forever....Is there a shortcut on Photoshop CS? I would also like to make one for running auto levels and contrast as well.

I just don't understand how pros can process 1000s of photos.

Next Question, I guess this is a personal opinion, If I have 100 pics and only really need about 20 good ones, what is the best method for sorting/deleting them??

Thanks for the Help,
Ben

Here is a batch resize tutorial I found

I have not done anything with batch processing in Photoshop but I know its capable. If that tutorial doesnt do it for you there are a lot more I found on google.

If I had to go through 100 pics and select 20 I would load them into Adobe Album or Picasa or something where I can easily see them side by side. Then I would either make a run through them culling the stuff I didnt like right away and working down that way or going through and flagging what I find catches my eye right away. I may find 5 I like immediately and then from there I would start looking closer to see what might be salvageable from a crop or other adjustments.

Create a new action, Actions are just like macros.
After you name your action PS begins recording everything you do.
Perform your resize and auto levels and anything else you want to do including saving and closing the file then hit the stop button on the actions tab.

Now goto file -> automate -> batch and select your new action and the folder where your images are stored and it will apply the changes in your action to all the files in the folder.

Let me know if you are still unsure of how to do this, I can explain better when I have more time.

easy thumbnails is faster than ps at resizing. however im not sure if the quality is as good. that may be something you want to look into.

I use acdsee powerpack as well as ps cs2. The compare feature in acdsee will let you compare several photos side by side, mark the ones you want to use and the others will get replaced with the next few. Very quick and very easy. good luck

That's a good tutorial for doing a resizing batch.

For picking 20 photos from 100, there's a nice feature in PS called Contact Sheet II...
You can find it under file -> automate -> Contact Sheet II...
Fill in your preferences and press OK. The contact sheets will be made automatically, including starting a new sheet when the first is full.
It even has an option to automatically write your filenames under the thumbnails.

Good luck.

Pros can deal with thousands of photos because:

1.) There are programs specifically designed to increase their workflow and productivity.

2.) They know the 'ins and outs' of every program they use.

3.) It's their job, not something they do on the side.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back