Is it possible to fit this lens on my D5200?

supertanno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My grandmother was recently cleaning out her house, and stumbled upon this old lens that belonged to my grandfather. We don't know what brand it is, just that it's incredibly old.

What info is there about this lens? And are there any adapters that would enable it to be placed on my Nikon D5200?

zZaAF4z.jpg

uRXpSdc.jpg

ddjg8Bo.jpg

SwfHlg9.jpg

Even if you could, any adapter would probably cost more than the value of the lens.

480sparky said:
Even if you could, any adapter would probably cost more than the value of the lens.

I'd put the value of that mid- to late-1970's to early 1980's lens at around $12 on a good day. I own a couple of M42 to Nikon F adapters, which cost me about $19 each from e-Bay about seven years ago. It would be much better to look for another, F-mount, third-party zoom lens, like a Vivitar, or Kiron, or Asanuma, whatever. Third-party 70-200 or 70-210 or 70-205mm or 80-200mm lenses of this type are all very affordable in F-mount, and would be much easier to use, and would most likely give better better optical quality.

If the M42 thread mount to F-mount adapter has a glass element system, it will focus to infinity; if the adapter is glass-free, it will not focus to infinity, and also, the diaphragm will not be automatic--the two main reasons to look for a lens like this in the right, native, F-mount. The adapters that have glass usually are kind of shoddy, and affect the optical quality of whatever lens is stuck in front of them.

Last edited:
I bought one of those adapter on ebay and it does have a glass element. I removed the glass element as I use the adapter on a bellow and only use for close up.

It appears the the brand is "Supra" most likely not the original manufacturer of the lens itself, they just rebranded it ... and probably made in the 80's ... many retailers did that in those days.

80-200 f:4 was the "kit" lens of the day. Actually, most cameras came with a 50mm lens if you didn't buy them body-only, but the next lens you got was usually either a 28 or 35mm for wide-angle, or the 80-200 zoom if you wanted telefoto. Everybody in the Universe made one, and all the basic versions were practically identical in performance, but if the mount is different from your camera, they're not worth adapting.

That said, is you find a Nikon 80-200 from that period, it will fit on the D5200, but you won't be able to auto-expose with it, you'll have manual control only, and of course manual focusing.

With that lens I wouldn't bother.
Try looking for a Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 with an M42 mount if you want a fun vintage lens! It comes in multiple versions, one of them even has 16 or so aperture blades!
It is known as an absolute bokeh-monster.

Here is a shot I took with it:

Water lily by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

Mine is a little broken, the aperture ring doesn't work at close focus. But since I bought it to shoot it wide open anyway I don't really care about that.
Lens plus adapter cost me roughly 40€, so about $50. I think it was worth it, I'm having fun with it.

Vintage?? Why not get some Nikkor from the 60's. They would fit on the 5200 although they won't mount on the 7200.

Vintage?? Why not get some Nikkor from the 60's. They would fit on the 5200 although they won't mount on the 7200.

CalvinBlink2.gif

I think that the lens is a nice memento of your grandfather's. Trying to adapt it for modern use would not be practical but it is doable with the proper adapter. This one Amazon.com Mount Adapter For M42 42mm Lens to Nikon D3100 D3000 D5000 Infinity Focus DC305 Camera Lens Adapters Camera Photo has the added glass that will allow it to focus at infinity. The resulting IQ of this combination will probably be rather low by modern standards but, that may not be your ultimate goal. Just using you grandfather's old lens may be quite gratifying.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Haven't kept up on it, but did I miss something where the D7200 isnt an F-Mount?

Old but certainly not 'incredibly' old, I'm pretty sure I have several lenses that are over twice the age.
Quality in M42 zooms is generally close to non existant, and as others have pointed out you need an extra element for infinity focus on an Nikon F mount. Simple adapters are available for most other camera systems, but the Nikons flange distance is about 1mm too long.
If you already have a M42 adapter it could be worth giving it a try, but I suspect you could get a nikon mount lens of better quality for not much more than the adapter.

If you do get an adapter there are loads of excellent M42 prime lenses, often very cheap, but the adapter might prevent you getting the results that make some of these primes sort after.

Haven't kept up on it, but did I miss something where the D7200 isnt an F-Mount?
Yes the D7200 does have an F mount but lenses made before 1977 are pre AI lenses and would damage the AI coupling which is on the D7200 (so that it could meter with AI lenses). The D5200 doesn't have this coupling it doesn't get damaged when used with pre AI lenses. The D5200 because it doesn't have the AI coupling would not meter with any manual focus lens whether it AI or pre AI.
In fact Pre AI lenses can not be used with any cameras higher than the D7200 except the Df.

Yes the D7200 does have an F mount but lenses made before 1977 are pre AI lenses and would damage the AI coupling which is on the D7200 (so that it could meter with AI lenses). The D5200 doesn't have this coupling it doesn't get damaged when used with pre AI lenses. The D5200 because it doesn't have the AI coupling would not meter with any manual focus lens whether it AI or pre AI.
In fact Pre AI lenses can not be used with any cameras higher than the D7200 except the Df.

What's that got to do with a lens that's M42 mount?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back