Is it time to switch to Nikon?

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My 5d mkii was sent in for repair twice for err 30. The second time I got the error was about a week after the first. I just had this happen again this morning. I'm supposed to shoot a band tomorrow and I'm an hour and a half away from a back up camera. My warranty expires on 12/16 and it's 12/12 today. WTF.

When does the d700 replacement come out? The downside is Nikon only having 720p video recording in their cameras. I'm just starting to get into video and almost purchased a rig with follow focus for my camera last week.

There should be some sort of lemon law for cameras.

Maybe you oughta be more careful with your cameras. ;)

Anyways, your going to have to sell all your lenses and get a whole new bunch, could be a hassle right? To me selling all my lenses for new ones would be fun.

You have 4 days to figure this out, why not just upgrade to a better body with better sealing and what not (sorry I dont know canons, theres gotta be something better up there)

I have no clue when the replacement comes out but I know on one of the antarctica trips half of the canons failed and no nikons failed. :D

Let me find that link somewhere....

edit: found it! (Antarctica 2009)

"The top LCD on a 5D MKII spontaneously cracked; Another 5D MKII had a jambed on lens caused by a loose screw, a 1Ds MKIII reported intermittent problems; a 1D MKIII kept reporting Error 99; one Hasselblad reported electronic lens connection problems; two Canon G9's failed (no G10s had any reported problems), and a Nikon 80-400mm lens came apart. No Nikon bodies (mostly D700s) failed in any way."

Go read that article, it may influence you to switch out to Nikon your 5D has a history of failing ;)

Maybe I'll buy a 1d mkiv

Good call, because 5D's do have a history of breaking I say upgrade bodies. I dont know what/how many lenses you have but selling them all with your backup body and sending back your 5D could be a big hassle...

look at my edit btw.

Video - photo cameras aren't video cameras, thus I wouldn't rely heavily on it.
Photo - though I'm a Nikon guy, I have very strong feelings for switching brands - I think it is silly and isn't cost effective. 5d2 is a great camera and chances are you just locked out on 1/1000 statistic of a bad body. If you got the $ though, G-d bless you, get what you like :D but as for IQ both brands are ton notch.

Video - photo cameras aren't video cameras, thus I wouldn't rely heavily on it.
Photo - though I'm a Nikon guy, I have very strong feelings for switching brands - I think it is silly and isn't cost effective. 5d2 is a great camera and chances are you just locked out on 1/1000 statistic of a bad body. If you got the $ though, G-d bless you, get what you like :D but as for IQ both brands are ton notch.

Tell that to all the indie film makers out there. 1080p with the ability to use the glass I have is not something that's afforable with a traditional video.

Tell that to all the indie film makers out there. 1080p with the ability to use the glass I have is not something that's afforable with a traditional video.

Thats true, you can get more bang for buck from a slr. Everyday use for pro film work tho, i dont know.

Whatever you use, if its canon it will break, i spent all day on the phone to canon tech support trying to get an xl2 to recognize my mac.

Everyday use for pro film work tho, i dont know.
Exactly.

little shots here and there about 30sec-min, yeah, it'll work, but a segments over 2min each, I wouldn't rely on it a lot. B/n 5dm2 and d90 after shooting for extended period, i got antiblessed with hot sensor and crappy colors. Once it cooled off, it was back to great photos.

Exactly.

little shots here and there about 30sec-min, yeah, it'll work, but a segments over 2min each, I wouldn't rely on it a lot. B/n 5dm2 and d90 after shooting for extended period, i got antiblessed with hot sensor and crappy colors. Once it cooled off, it was back to great photos.

BBC website is a good example of that. Some of the slr footage on there is awful.

Exactly.

cinema5D.com

people there have done some amazing work, including commercial stuff.

Take it with a grain of salt as I'm using only Nikon's lower-end products, but I've had to send my kit lens in three times for repair, my 35/1.8 prime once (after only a couple of months after buying it brand new).

Nikon's warranty service is slow (three weeks minimum between sending out for shipment and receiving the repaired product at your doorstep) and you have to pay for the shipping (at least for the first warranty claim).

Exactly.

cinema5D.com

sure there is some nice shorts on there, but for real pro use an slr is not the tool. How many memory cards would you need for a start, my partner recently shot around 2 and a half hours of vid for a 30 second advert.

Exactly.

cinema5D.com

sure there is some nice shorts on there, but for real pro use an slr is not the tool. How many memory cards would you need for a start, my partner recently shot around 2 and a half hours of vid for a 30 second advert.

3 8gb cards are enough. Portable storage is where it's at. There's limitations, but there are also huge pros to using a dslr.

cinema5D.com

3 8gb cards are enough. Portable storage is where it's at. There's limitations, but there are also huge pros to using a dslr.

What about things like overall stability, xlr audio inputs/outputs ?

also sounds silly but wielding a large camcorder, mic and boom and saying channel4 will get you an awful lot. Not sure an slr would have the same effect

Most reactions

Back