Is less really more?

Do people actually get stressed trying to decide which lens to use? Some people really, really overthink things. Get the gear you need and go out and shoot

My wallet better not hear that!

I was reading an article by Eric Kim. Some of you might have heard of him but he recently wrote something about less is more. He got rid of all his cameras and only shoots with a Ricoh GR and a Leica film camera with one lens, I think it was the 35mm.

He was talking about how less is more, only shoot with one camera and one lens because it forces you to think and be creative. It gets rid of the stress of trying to decide which lens to use.

I completely understand what he's talking about. But I honestly, don't think this approach to photography applies to everyone. It's a great practice that everyone should do and shoot everything with one lens for a certain period of time, but all the time? I suppose if you are a street photographer like Eric Kim, then all you really do need is just one camera and one lens.

But if you are a photographer who likes to shoot a variety of different subjects, one focal just isn't going to cut it in my opinion. It will really limit you to what you can shoot.

You can't shoot 200mm with a 35mm lens. Its physically impossible.

Zoom with your feet? Well..what if you physically can't?

I guess it all comes down to what kind of photography you like to shoot, your personality, your approach to it. My mood generally dictates what lens I may choose. Somedays I like shooting with just my 50mm and other days with my telephoto and wide angle, often times, the location can make a difference.

So should you listen to Eric Kim's advice and sell everything except for one camera and one lens? Not everyone is Eric Kim, so no, I wouldn't.

I think the best advice is to just have fun. Why only limit yourself to just one lens and focal length? You can do that anytime, but it doesn't have to be permanent.

What do you think? Is less really more? Would you ditch all your cameras and lenses and just stick with one camera, one lens & focal length?

Hey Nerwin, all Eric has done is create his own style. We all should have our own style, right? There is no right or wrong answer. We are all going to create our own way. I would never try to tell someone to do this my way. Every person has their own creative ability. It would be a boring world if we all copied one another! Great post Nerwin, thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back