Is manual mode overrated?

It's almost EXACTLY like the difference between the people who drive Automatic or Manual transmission cars. The person who drives manual tends to want to have control over every aspect of the car, engine speed, gear, throttle, etc. That same person will find driving an automatic boring, mundane, too easy and or unskillful. The person driving the automatic will not see the need to drive a manual when there's a much easier option. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but the person shooting manual will more likely than not be a very skilled photographer willing to take risks and accept responsibility for their mistakes when they don't get the setting quite right. Where as the person shooting in the automatic modes will be more prone to blame their equipment and not their skill-set.

God Bless,

Eric & Amanda Photography - International Destination Wedding Photography Team - International Destination Wedding Photographers

I shoot in "Bulb" mode exclusively and just guess on how long I need to hold down my shutter for. It's a pretty awesome system that has no insurance of consistency. :thumbup:

It's almost EXACTLY like the difference between the people who drive Automatic or Manual transmission cars. The person who drives manual tends to want to have control over every aspect of the car, engine speed, gear, throttle, etc. That same person will find driving an automatic boring, mundane, too easy and or unskillful. The person driving the automatic will not see the need to drive a manual when there's a much easier option. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but the person shooting manual will more likely than not be a very skilled photographer willing to take risks and accept responsibility for their mistakes when they don't get the setting quite right. Where as the person shooting in the automatic modes will be more prone to blame their equipment and not their skill-set.

It's not really like that at all... :confused:

Yeah, I have seen many a Manual Tran driver that can't drive very well ... they just think they can.

It's not really like that at all... :confused:
:thumbup:

An appropriate automotive correlation would be that of a person that knows that an automobile is propelled via an internal combustion engine and a person that can repair an internal combustion engine as well as a drive train, brakes, etc.

They are both fine to ride with, but when a mechanical problem arises the driver calls for help to get the car to a shop. The mechanic can find, understand and fix the problem because the mechanic doesn't just have a knowledge base of how to operate the vehicle. Their knowledge base includes the intricacies of how the vehicle operates.

Heel and toe all night long. Don't use the NAWZzzzzz too early!

I don't like manual mode on digital camera, but then again I don't understand the camera operation options I suppose. There are too many options , beyond shutter speed and aperture.
I had a easier time with manual film camera for some reason. But for printing, I can't go back to film camera, it's too expensive to print.

If auto gave me the exposure every time, i wouldn't need manual...but it don't.

very seldom does it give you the correct exposure. auto is always a compromise over quality

I don't agree.
There are many times where I have shot in manual and auto ... and encountered that auto was what I thought the manual exposure should be.
The Matrix metering algorithms are getting smarter.

Not all shots require manual intervention ... I am actually tired of hearing that you cannot take the best shot with the camera in control.

very seldom does it give you the correct exposure. auto is always a compromise over quality

Chito, I have to say that you have posted some good shots that were taken in Aperture Priority (based on your EXIF data).

Most reactions

Back