Is there a point of learning Aperture,ISO,Shutter speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, considering the technique you asked about that had the stars in the photo last night being one of thousands of tricks I'd say there is a whole lot you can do and continue to learn.
THen there is the challenge of showing something using only those three controls and composition. How do I suck the viewer in and make this image say exactly what I want it to say? Therein lies the challenge. You only have 3 controls and your knowledge to do that...

I see. Well, I certainly wish there were more controls implemented to create more intricate photo's. But I guess that they created three for a reason. Needless to say, this always happens to me. I think the reason why I am questioning Photography is because.. Well, before I started learning I would spend so much time admiring photo's and wondering what it would take to be able to make something as good. Now that I have learned, it just feels underwhelming overall. I don't know what it is honestly. I guess I assumed the process would be more intricate I suppose? Quite puzzling.. But I will continue to learn nonetheless..

Wait 3 pages and not one mention? Guys you are slipping in your standards! ;)

Understanding Exposure - by Bryan Peterson - get it and read it; not only will it help you learn about the exposure triangle, but it also presents a good range of situations where auto will fail as well as examples of how to creatively use the aperture and shutter speed to create photos.

Well, considering the technique you asked about that had the stars in the photo last night being one of thousands of tricks I'd say there is a whole lot you can do and continue to learn.
THen there is the challenge of showing something using only those three controls and composition. How do I suck the viewer in and make this image say exactly what I want it to say? Therein lies the challenge. You only have 3 controls and your knowledge to do that...

I see. Well, I certainly wish there were more controls implemented to create more intricate photo's. But I guess that they created three for a reason. Needless to say, this always happens to me. I think the reason why I am questioning Photography is because.. Well, before I started learning I would spend so much time admiring photo's and wondering what it would take to be able to make something like that. Now that I have learned, it just feels underwhelming overall. I don't know what it is honestly. I guess I assumed the process would be more intricate I suppose? Quite puzzling.. But I will continue to learn nonetheless..

Seeing how you've learned it all, do you think you could teach the rest of us? Because after 20+ years I don't have it yet. And that's not even being funny. There is so much I DON'T know that I don't even know where to begin.

I think the reason why I am questioning Photography is because.. Well, before I started learning I would spend so much time admiring photo's and wondering what it would take to be able to make something like that. Now that I have learned, it just feels underwhelming overall. I don't know what it is honestly.

Right. Cause you've OBVIOUSLY learned all there is to photography.

I can see why you're underwhelmed.

Knowing all there is to know... it can't be much more exciting past this point.

I get it.

::nods understandingly::

:roll:

Wait 3 pages and not one mention? Guys you are slipping in your standards! ;)

Understanding Exposure - by Bryan Peterson - get it and read it; not only will it help you learn about the exposure triangle, but it also presents a good range of situations where auto will fail as well as examples of how to creatively use the aperture and shutter speed to create photos.

It's because he doesn't need it.

He knows all there is to know.

Oh ok, so Manual is for accurate exposure. I understand that.. But the one thing that bothers me is that.. There doesn't seem like you can do much with a Camera once you learn how to properly use it.. Like, technique wise. Like I said, from what I understand the two primary techniques you can apply in Manual is using Depth Of Field to create interesting shots, and create Bokeh as well. But is there anything else you can do?..

There is a couple pieces of the puzzle you are missing. Just because you know how to expose things correctly, creatively, or in auto, there is more to making compelling images. Content, composition, lighting, point of view, interpretation, timing...

Bitter - post some darn kitty pics somewhere before Erose gets herself into troubles ;) The site needs more kitten pics anyway (we've not had any in ages!)

*official mod hat on* Guys try and remain respectful toward each other.

matrix have you been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder?

Some one around here might just have bipolar disorder, and resent that you imply that we are a bunch of idiots.

... Anyway ...

Exposure control is much more than a computer program. While a camera can determine the optimal solution pretty well, it can not provide the best solution. How does the camera know what you expect from the scene? Maybe it's appropriate to push the hilights to obtain shadow detail, maybe it'd be better to compromise shadow detail to obtain more hilights, maybe it'd just be better to take more than one exposure, but how much - will it be ±2, or -1, +2?

I am not sure why this forum is so full of snarky one-liners, it's like everyone here is in a competition to who can be the most coy about their answers...

Nope. No point at all.
It's perfectly fine to throw it in auto and let the camera make all the decisions for you!

This thread is pointless with comments such as this.
Not at all. There is nothing wrong with shooting in Auto; many camera owners go their whole life doing exactly that. Additionally, sarcasm can be a valuable teaching tool! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back