Is there a point of learning Aperture,ISO,Shutter speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
matrix have you been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder? One day you want to learn those exact three things and the next you think it's pointless. There's so many different things the three things can do, if you're on auto you have no control over what it does. I won't use easy mode in my camera because it gives me the worst pictures so if for some reason yours gives you the best I would continue to shoot with it.

No I have been learning about Photography for a month now. Only recently today did I start questioning the manner of it all..

Matrixgravity said:
Hmm..Do you happen to have any Before/After pictures of shooting on Auto and shooting on Manual? Because from what I understand, Manual is just used to expose the picture accurately but if Auto can calculate all of that for you, then wouldn't it be the same? Perhaps I am missing something here..

I do but I'm on my phone so you'll have to wait to see them.

Matrixgravity said:
Hmm..Do you happen to have any Before/After pictures of shooting on Auto and shooting on Manual? Because from what I understand, Manual is just used to expose the picture accurately but if Auto can calculate all of that for you, then wouldn't it be the same? Perhaps I am missing something here..

I do but I'm on my phone so you'll have to wait to see them.

Ok cool thank you. I am just trying to clear up confusion..

Not only does aperture control depth of field. It controls your flash exposure separately from ambient exposure when using flash. Wanna have a dark sky on a bright sunny day, but a properly exposed subject? Good luck achieving that on auto.

What if you wanted I create starbursts from bright light points in the photo? That requires a small aperture. Do that on auto.

What if you're shooting a panorama and require your exposures to remain identical for multiple photos? Can't do that on auto because the meter could read differently on each frame.

These are just a few examples. I could keep going all night.

Sorry if there are typos, I'm on my iPhone.

Ok, I am going to swallow this one hook line and sinker...
Because the camera notoriously makes the wrong decisions. If you are lit with backlight your camera will always underexpose. Your camera doesn't know if you need to have a depth of field of an inch or a mile to get everyone in focus. It also doesn't know that you want that depth of field to stop just after the subjects to blur the crap in the background. Your camera doesn't know that you need to overexpose slightly when using a high ISO. Your camera doesn't know when you are shooting a photo of the moon that the sky is SUPPOSED to be black-it will try to make it middle gray every time. Your camera doesn't know that human skin should be anything other than middle gray and if you meter white skin it will underexpose every time.
The only thing your camera knows is that it needs to make middle gray. It doesn't know what you need to be in focus or not. It doesn't know that you need to stop motion of a moving child. It doesn't know JACK ****.

from what I understand, Manual is just used to expose the picture accurately but if Auto can calculate all of that for you, then wouldn't it be the same? Perhaps I am missing something here..
Knowledge of the exposure triangle is used to calculate exposure. While this image is not shot in manual, but rather shutter-priority, it would be virtually impossible to capture in auto, except by pure s**t-house luck.

ETA: This one is shot in manual... again, NOT going to happen in auto.

Oh ok, so Manual is for accurate exposure. I understand that.. But the one thing that bothers me is that.. There doesn't seem like you can do much with a Camera once you learn how to properly use it.. Like, technique wise. Like I said, from what I understand the two primary techniques you can apply in Manual is using Depth Of Field to create interesting shots, and create Bokeh as well. But is there anything else you can do?..

No I have been learning about Photography for a month now.

How 'bout you just KEEP learning photography then? And eventually you'll be able to answer your own question.

Or don't.

And keep shooting auto 'cause "it's easier" and never improve your images.

We're just going to keep going in circles at this rate. :banghead:

Oh ok, so Manual is for accurate exposure. I understand that.. But the one thing that bothers me is that.. There doesn't seem like you can do much with a Camera once you learn how to properly use it.. Like, technique wise. Like I said, from what I understand the two primary techniques you can apply in Manual is using Depth Of Field to create interesting shots, and create Bokeh as well. But is there anything else you can do?..
Look at the examples posted above...

Try this simple experiment:

Go to any store that sells construction paper, and get some black and some white construction paper. Take a sheet of black and a sheet of white and lay them out in the sun. Put your camera on Auto and move it in so the black sheet fills the frame. Then take a shot of the white sheet. Now put them up on your computer monitor and see how well they're rendered.

Then you will have learned how much your camera lies to you.

Well, considering the technique you asked about that had the stars in the photo last night being one of thousands of tricks I'd say there is a whole lot you can do and continue to learn.
THen there is the challenge of showing something using only those three controls and composition. How do I suck the viewer in and make this image say exactly what I want it to say? Therein lies the challenge. You only have 3 controls and your knowledge to do that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back