Is this possible? Product recommendations wanted! Please Help...

jadelm31

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.picturesquebyerica.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting a wedding in July and am planning to get my speedlight off camera and onto a monopod for my assistant to move freely with. I LOVE the [FONT=georgia, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]mini tt1 and flex tt5 but they are way too pricey. I'm looking to avoid using a light meter and want to be able to manually control my flash output from my camera and or utilize TTL if I decide. Which gear can do this? I also want a system that uses radio waves so that my flash does not have to be in eyesight or direction from the light from my camera. Any suggestions or recommendations? I found these : [/FONT]http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/cactus-wireless-flash-transceiver-v6.html and this: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4 - Gadget Infinity. What do you think? I also will have to pick up some sort of adapter to attach the light to the monopod. Wondering whether I should pick up one to shoot through an umbrella or a screw adapter and just use a softbox to diffuse my light.

Thanks

Cactus triggers are reasonably well regarded consumer-grade triggers; you may also want to consider the Yongnuo line. Rather than use a monopod, buy an extendable painter's pole, one of these, and one of these. For metering, read up on the Guide Number system, and then simply instruct your second to be approximately 'X' feet from the subject; you can also tie a string of a specific length to the pole if there's any doubt. Shooting in raw will give you a fair amount of exposure latitude so if your distance isn't bang on, you can tweak it in post. I would NOT use an umbrella; IMO, too much chance of it getting in the way. Instead, if you do want to use a diffuser, I would go for a small, Lastolite style softbox like this.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know about the new Cactus triggers....I've had some of the older ones and they were OK, but not reliable enough for pro work.

Personally, I'd go for a good set of simple radio triggers. ETTL is nice and all, but it can be unpredictable and inconsistent. Get comfortable with manual flash and you'll be fine. My recommendation for radio triggers would be the Pocket Wizard Plus X or Plus III. Not necessarily cheap, but you can bet that they will work reliably for years and years. I use the Cyber Sync trigger system which works great, but the transmitter uses a specific flat watch style battery, which can be a pain.

I agree with all the advice from Tirediron.

If you want to be able to shoot wireless with TTL you can try Youngnuo, Pixel, or Photix. I have the first gen Pixel Kings and they work just as if the flash was mounted on the camera. ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The whole idea is that they can communicate fully with the camera, allowing you to control your flash as if it was on the camera. If you can make the adjustment through the cameras menu, you can make it with these triggers.

Here's a link to a review of the Photix Odins from 2011 that you might find interesting. While I stick with my Pixel Kings because they are something I don't need too often and they work fine when I need them; the Odins are highly regarded and I've seen a fair few people switch from PW to the Odins.

Review: Phottix Odin TTL Wireless Radio Triggers for Canon DSLRs - The Phoblographer

Most reactions

Back