Issue in camera color with android and laptop

viviansungg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I shoot my pic on nikon d5500. When I see the pic in my camera, it has a great calibration in color and brightness. When I sync it to phone (i use samsung note 3) or laptop (asus rog gl552vx), it turns out really bad. Sometimes it becomes too dark, too yellow, and bad contrast.
Any way to fix this?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Make sure your laptop screen is calibrated. Try posting one here so we can see it.

Are you shooting Raw or JPEG?

There are issues regarding display calibration for phones, laptops/notebooks, and desktop displays in that if the ambient light falling on the display is different from when a display was last calibrated the display is no longer calibrated.
In other words a display has to be re-calibrated each time the ambient light has changed if you want to be sure what you see is the real deal.

The kicker is that if you put your photos out there for online display those looking at your photos aren't using the same display(s) you use.

The rear LCD on digital cameras is small and has minimal resolution.
The image quality judgement one can reasonable make about a photo looked at on the rear LCD is composition.
Color accuracy and exposure have to be evaluated by looking at the histogram of the photo on the rear LCD.

In addition to the ambient light variability, the viewing angle of a hand held phone or a laptop/notebook display is also variable.

Make sure your laptop screen is calibrated. Try posting one here so we can see it.
I already calibrate it 3 times and it makes me dizzy.
I will screenshoot and have a photo of it from my phone and camera later

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/587c11449ed21/DSC_2359.JPG
By the way, this is the pic that I sent from my camera to my phone. I see it too yellow and not too bright, but in my camera it turns out well

1484526180549.jpeg

How are you calibrating the laptop? What calibration device are you using?

What colorspace is set on the camera? Is the camera set to sRGB or Adobe RGB?

Joe

It looks like the white balance is a little different between these - the one on the left is warmer.

It looks like the white balance is a little different between these - the one on the left is warmer.
Yes, I couldn't find the mistake one. My phone calibration or the settings on the camera.

Joe

I used sRGB on my camera and laptop. I calibrate using windows 10 settings on calibration

Joe

I used sRGB on my camera and laptop. I calibrate using windows 10 settings on calibration

Having the colorspace the same between both is good. Using the software in the OS to calibrate the laptop is a very bad idea especially if you mess with the color option at all. You're more likely to make it worse than better. Using the OS software option does not profile your display and you need the display both calibrated and profiled.

You need a hardware calibrator like this: https://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNS...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=colormunki+smile&psc=1

Your laptop was designed for gaming and has a TN display. Calibrating it will help but it will never be able to display the full range of color in an sRGB photo.

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Joe

That is not calibration, that is just a bunch of SWAG settings you can pick from.

THIS is calibration, or at least a proper calibration device. Properly used WYSIWYG when printing or on another properly calibrated device.

That is not calibration, that is just a bunch of SWAG settings you can pick from.

THIS is calibration, or at least a proper calibration device. Properly used WYSIWYG when printing or on another properly calibrated device.
The Win 10 settings, if you go through the wizard, will actually get you pretty close. In my case, it was a tad bit cooler than the Spyder5 calibration results.

The issue I have with using the laptop and trying to calibrate it is that the angle of view changes the brightness and colors so unless you are using your laptop always at the exact same angle of view, you can't really rely on the screen being accurate. I was having similar issues (discovered it when I printed something) and ended up buying a monitor to use with the laptop. Much more reliable. The 5500 is a nice camera and if you're going to get more involved with photography you may want to invest in a nice monitor for editing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back