It's D9x00, D7x00 or D400 season... wants and predictions?

I don't care what they call it as long as it is 8-10 FPS, a 20-30+ shot buffer and improved ISO performance over the D7100. A pro body with dedicated controls and a dedicated AF-ON button would be just dandy for me..

Well if you want shutter speed get a Canon 1DX.

RAW @ 12/FPS with a 1066x CF i get a burst of about 90 Shots continuous.
JPEG @ 14/FPS with a 1066x CF i get a burst of about 175 Shoots continuous.

They did a D700 upgrade - the D800 - and then a D800 upgrade - the D810.

I'd like a dedicated non-video image capturing camera. 24mp and an upgraded sensor.

MP's are soon going to exceed the resolution of the best glass camera makers can make today.
Substantial improvement to what is today's best lens resolution comes at a premium cost.

As it is, to fully utilize the resolving power of a 24 MP full frame (135 format) image sensor requires using lenses available today that have an average cost of about $1500 a lens.
Kit and prosumer lenses won't cut the mustard.

How many will be willing to pay an average cost of $3000 to $4000 - or more - per lens to utilize a 36 to 48 MP FF (135 format) image sensor?

I don't care what they call it as long as it is 8-10 FPS, a 20-30+ shot buffer and improved ISO performance over the D7100. A pro body with dedicated controls and a dedicated AF-ON button would be just dandy for me..

You forgot one thing. It has to cost under $2000. You can have all that now, you just need around $6000

MP's are soon going to exceed the resolution of the best glass camera makers can make today.
Substantial improvement to what is today's best lens resolution comes at a premium cost.

As it is, to fully utilize the resolving power of a 24 MP full frame (135 format) image sensor requires using lenses available today that have an average cost of about $1500 a lens.
Kit and prosumer lenses won't cut the mustard.

How many will be willing to pay an average cost of $3000 to $4000 - or more - per lens to utilize a 36 to 48 MP FF (135 format) image sensor?

I won't. 36.3 is even way more than I'll ever need. I'd rather camera makers continue working on ISO and buffers and such. Not MP

I don't know if Nikon will do it. A million Nikon users want a 20-24mp crop camera that will do high FPS, but I doubt they will do it. they may give us a slight bump in fps and buffer, but they will never go all out and offer anything close to d4 performance. crop sensors like the one used in the d7100 is darn good. at lower iso I have a hard time telling IQ and color rendition from my d800e. even high iso if you are filling the frame is decent, which isn't that hard when using a decently long lens with a 1.5 crop and 24mp. it is easly just as sharp at 100% as my Nikon d800e, maybe very slightly worse, but better than my d800 non-e was, that no AA filter really aids in sharpness, IMO even better than the difference between a FX sensor and DX. Obviously FX d800 dynamic range is better, but seriously I still grab the d7100 due to pixel density and reach over the d800e about 90% of the time for wildlife.

even if I was a occasional sports shooter, I would probably grab my d7100 and a 300mm f2.8 over a d800 and 500mm f4, which is something I am thinking of downgrading to pay off a few bills to a 300mm 2.8, cause I find that a d7100 and bare 500 f4 is about as much reach as I need, any more and the subjects I shoot are so far away I don't take the photo anyways. I think a 300mm 2.8 and new 1.4x and a d7100 should do me with the occasional 2x or 1.7x

I won't. 36.3 is even way more than I'll ever need. I'd rather camera makers continue working on ISO and buffers and such. Not MP

Dynamic range and ISO are definitely my two biggest things. Then comes focusing system. Guess if I was getting paid, the buffer might be more important to me.

I still like that they're boosting the megapixels.

Look at where computer research has gotten us: graphics units and central processing units are progressing in a very nice way since there's so much money to be had in the cell / tablet market. This indirectly helps so many other markets, including things like the Expeed processors (I would think!). Look at where cellphones are going as well: Higher megapixels, better miniature optics, improved ISO capabilities in small yet dense pixel-count sensors. Hopefully it is in the best interest of the mass market to continue developing in a way that benefits the higher-end optics as well.

I got tired of waiting and bought a D800 this week. So the new ones will be out within a week, you watch. Haha.

Isn't that always how it is. I buy a D3200 then the D3300 comes out. I buy a i7 4770k then the i7 4790k comes out.

Last edited:

Well if you want shutter speed get a Canon 1DX.

RAW @ 12/FPS with a 1066x CF i get a burst of about 90 Shots continuous.
JPEG @ 14/FPS with a 1066x CF i get a burst of about 175 Shoots continuous.
It would be awful hard to mount my lenses on a canon body, and I think I stated my opinion that I would rather have a crop body. Guess it all depends on what Nikon announces for photokina. That 7dm2 might be a super sweet camera, paired with a 400 F5.6... hmmm...

It would be awful hard to mount my lenses on a canon body, and I think I stated my opinion that I would rather have a crop body. Guess it all depends on what Nikon announces for photokina. That 7dm2 might be a super sweet camera, paired with a 400 F5.6... hmmm...

I sold a few lenses to get the Tamron 150-600mm.. I sold the 150-600mm to go towards the D810... Now i've decided to hold off on the D810. My 'hobby' of High Schools sports ends this year when my oldest son graduates. That leaves me with peewee/youth sports and my needs have changed over the past years waiting for a D400.

As of right now my #1 most used camera is a GoPro (i know.. right?!?!). If the 7Dmk2 comes out with 120FPS @ 720p Canon gets my money :(

If (and its a big IF) Nikon comes out with a D400/D9300 this year it should be announced in the next few weeks (sometime in August).

Whats your prediction? Is 2014 the year for the D300 update?

mid of September expect either or both the 7200 and d620 to come out with the new expeed 4 processor. I'm personally holding out for that and my coin purse is nice and fat for when they do come out. :wink:

I dont thik we will see a D620 anytime soon, the D610 is still relatively new, I wouldnt expect to see it being replaced anytime soon, if it will then I will have a big problem, if I decide to jump ship from DX to FX this will probably be the caemra I would consider. Not ready for an upgrade so I hope it will come much later next year.

Day dreaming about Unicorns again uh? :)

It wouldn't take much to turn the D7100 into a semi-pro DX camera. Just beef up the buffer, add a few extra FPS, and install an ISO button up top.

I agree, the D7100 is a camera that is loaded with goodies, it will take very litle to turn it into a Semi Pro camera.

The camera business is in serious decline, and has been for four straight years now. I think the market for D300 replacements is very small now, and confined mostly to a small, rather select group of camera buyers. The kind of people who hang out on forums, and who are very serious are the ones who want pro-like features in $1599 price point "semi-pro" bodies...and I just do not think the market for those cameras is as large as some people think; I think the forum amplification effect makes it seem like a D400 is needed by more people than there are actual buyers: the real money-makers for the camera companies are the lower-end bodies in the first two slots price-wise. So, D3xxx and D5xxx, followed by the D7xxx class, with the flagships being only a teeny-tiny part of actual sales, but carrying with them a lot of cachet.

The higher-end, semi-pro bodies in the $3,500-$3,000 price, ie the Canon 5D Mark III and Nikon D800...THOSE seem to be the profit centers that have replaced the $1699 7D and D300s in the sales pyramid...I think the camera makers have realized the $3,000-$3500 price cameras are now entrenched among serious enthusiasts, pros, and pro-wannabes, so...they are not very concerned with the D300s replacement, and Canon has let the 7D stagnate since 2009, with nothing of an update...Nikon does the "s" refreshes from time to time on some models.

photokina 2014 (properly spelled photkina, with NO caps) might be a disappointment to those who want the camera universe to be improved in the way it was when he camera market was expanding, but the market is definitely shrinking now. Still, it would be nice to see advancement in capabilities like buffer and FPS and so on with a D9xxx, or a D400, but it seems like Nikon and Canon have both shifted a LOT of attention to the high-end mid-level bodies like the 70D and D7100, for sales volume at "reasonable" prices. There is one thing I see good: Expeed 4 for Nikon in the new D810 seems to have allowed higher frame rates and better focusing; from what Thom Hogan says, there are more than 50 differences between the D800/D800e and the D810, and the focusing is now VERY close to that of the D4s, and does not have that same slight, occasional lagginess the D800 has compared to the D4 in focusing on tough targets. To me, that seems like the big deal: the new Expeed 4 processor MIGHT be one of the keys for the next-gen bodies...so maybe now with Expeed4 a reality, Nikon can bump up the stakes bit and get to a D9300 and a D7300 and/or a D400. They certainly have the SENSOR for it, 36MP, and now they have an engine that can actually handle all the associated tasks with such big files.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back