I've got BGAS

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a glutton for punishment.
After taking 8 yrs to fix a Minolta-35 rangefinder, I go and buy another broken Minolta-35 camera to fix up ... Broken Gear Acquisition Syndrome is the worst, as I do not keep them after they are working.

DSC07601.jpeg

I am a glutton for punishment.
After taking 8 yrs to fix a Minolta-35 rangefinder, I go and buy another broken Minolta-35 camera to fix up ... Broken Gear Acquisition Syndrome is the worst, as I do not keep them after they are working.

View attachment 272326
Covid lockdowns in the GTA broke my first-in-the-door addiction to the big PHSC sales. Got weary making other peoples' junk my junk!

Ah, I have not been to a PHCS fair in over a decade.
Went mainly for short-dated film but that petered out way back. Had favorite tables with good stuff but most offered the same old junk redolent of damp TO basements year after year. Recall an elegantly-dressed and coiffed HK lady who regularly offered a small, well-curated trove of mint(boxed!!!)Leica gear. Always suspected she'd poisoned several husbands for their expensive tastes.

Last edited:
I remember going to a Lion's club sponsored Camera fair in the early 90's and my girlfriend picked up a Yashica-A TLR for $30 ... I told her she paid too much.

i am not saying I am just as bad...but my local camera shop offered to put a chair outside their Used cameras window
their new kit window...... reckon they will need a drain to collect the drool from folk standing and deciding “what will I have next”

Nice piece.
You guys would freak if you saw my apartment, I have so much stuff from work it's nuts. Look forward to buying a house this year and getting all that crap sorted.

I was fortunate to win an auction for this Minolta ... I was expecting to lose it as the market is overpriced for broken "vintage" stuff ... this does not occur often, though the shipping costs from the US is a killer!!

Hmm, this "new" Minolta-35 must have been sitting around broken for a long time ... the second curtain has frozen in its broken wrinkly shape ... another complete 1st/2nd curtain replacement.

Hmm, this "new" Minolta-35 must have been sitting around broken for a long time ... the second curtain has frozen in its broken wrinkly shape ... another complete 1st/2nd curtain replacement.
I salute your dedication and expertise. I just never bothered with sick pet gear. During my last film camera binge 10+ years ago, I snobbishly went for pretty/low-mileage/boxed+mint/ NOS gear that wasn't always that pricey. Clunkers were give-away priced then. No regrets buying the good stuff since it's still working. In 2024, 35mm cameras I got cheap that break get pitched. Always bought clean multiple back-ups of bodies I liked.

Hmm, maybe not dedication ... but the thrill of the chase ... and winning in the end.
Very few of the cameras I work on I keep. Most are a means to an end.

I salute your dedication and expertise. I just never bothered with sick pet gear. During my last film camera binge 10+ years ago, I snobbishly went for pretty/low-mileage/boxed+mint/ NOS gear that wasn't always that pricey. Clunkers were give-away priced then. No regrets buying the good stuff since it's still working. In 2024, 35mm cameras I got cheap that break get pitched. Always bought clean multiple back-ups of bodies I liked.
If you got broken stuff, or just disposable stuff ... you can send it my way, maybe they can get a second life.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back