Just starting out. Interested in shooting talent (models, actors). But my photos look flat. Help me?

m_anderson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm just starting out in the world of photography. I want to focus on fashion, models, and actor headshots. I was told I need to invest in professional equipment, most important being the camera (full frame). But most full frame cameras are very expensive and out of my budget. Right now I'm using a Canon Rebel T4i with kit lens. My photos are not looking the way I want them too. They look flat. I've tried everything, even using the pop up flash. What are the best camera settings to make your photos come alive? I found this video on YouTube and it really caught my attention, the photographer is using a $599 Canon 60D (which I'm told has the same 18mp sensor as my camera), yet his images pop off the screen and are glowing.... How is this possible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Megan

Welcome to the forum. You'll get better advice if you post some of your shots. There are no "best camera settings to make your photos come alive."

The camera body is in fact the LEAST important factor in the equation. In order of priority: Lighting, lens, and body. Check out Adorama's 'Flashpoint' line of studio lights which are a good, budget entry into lighting (cheaper and more versatile than many speedlights). I can't play the YouTube video you've linked to, but I can tell just from the first frame that I see he/she is using multiplie lights and large modifiers.

As mentioned above, posting a couple of examples along with your lighting will help us guide you much better. Settings are situation dependant - I can tell you mine 85mm f1.4 lens @ f8, ISO 100, 1/250 of a second, but unless you have 3-5 studio lights in the equation as well, it's not going to do anything for you.

Will my camera flash be enough? can i adjust the power of my camera flash?

Perhaps, but it will be very limiting - the field that you want to get in to requires a substantial investment in lighting equipment as well as the knowledge of how to effectively employ it. You should at a minimum, if you are serious about this, be prepared to invest at LEAST $500 in three lights, stands and modifiers.

sorry about cross posting, i am new here, dont know the rules. just need advice.
xoxo

sorry about cross posting, i am new here, dont know the rules. just need advice.
xoxo
And you've had some... post some of your 'flat' images and we'll help you go from there. You can do a lot with a single large reflector shooting out of doors, but again, it's limiting.

what would you suggest? for lights. you said $500 for 3 lights? Which brand would you recommend? Can i buy used for less? I need to practice right?

Here are a couple of headshots I recently did. just used natural light. i just feel like the images are flat, they don't stand out, i'm looking to make them glow and have life.

Attachments

• Tamar Before 1.jpg
    Tamar Before 1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Tamar Before 3.jpg
    Tamar Before 3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 242
Another photo i did. natural light. camera on a tripod.

Attachments

• Rudy6.jpg
    Rudy6.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 244
You can't get much good help if you upload tiny pictures.- in the last one his head is ~ 50 pixels high, suitable for a forum avatar but not to look at pictures.

These are fine, I think, but you need to learn how to sharpen for effect.

Tamar-Before-1lllll.jpg

Actually, those aren't bad at all for just starting out. As I indicated above the 'Flashpoint' line from Adorama (I assume you're in the USA) is an excellent entry path into studio lighting. You can definitely buy used and save money; you can often pick up older, all manual speedlights for $25-50 and you can do a LOT of work with them. With a little practice. Start by reading EVERYTHING on this 'site.

A few additional thoughts:

1) In the video notice how they are not just using camera equipment:
a) The model is likely professional/experienced; ergo they know how to pose themselves for the camera. It's a skill like all things, experience here helps smooth things out and can present new creative ideas as the model can also give input.

b) Make-up and hair - two different fields; but again good application of these can be a big game-changer. Sometimes its about getting the right effect for the shot - other times it might just be a few touch-ups that help you as you now don't have to go in and clone out 10001 stray hairs etc.... Generally speaking some understanding of this would be of benefit for a photographer and at the very least provide some space for a model to do their own make-up (if you can't afford a pro/experienced person for these duties).

2) As mentioned above, lighting is very important. It you look at the video you can see them using a range of lights, tripods, brackets and adaptors for different control and effect. This area can get complex, but it can also be very rewarding because you're now able to influence the photo directly by manipulating the light.

This can be as simple as a reflector and as complex as multiple light setups.

The book "Light Science and Magic 4th edition" would be well worth getting and reading. It isn't dealing specifically with portrait lighting setups, but rather aims to teach you how to control, manipulate and work with lights. The book also goes through a series of material types and how to work with them.
From there you'll be in a good position to branch out and start reading up about portrait specific lighting setups - because now you'll have the grounding and understanding in lighting to better understand and make use of suggested setups (and also more able to adapt to the situation and change things up for different effects).

Will my camera flash be enough? can i adjust the power of my camera flash?

The main problem with your built-in flash is its proximity to the lens. Being mounted so close (right on top, in fact) to the lens will make your photos flat every time.

You need to learn how light models the subject. Light can come into the frame from nearly anywhere, so you've got to learn how to see the light and modify the light if need be, and add light if you need it.

This is a learning process, and it's going to take some time and effort on your part. If you have any money to spend now, get a speedlight and a book on lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back