What happened to these photos?

brudno888

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi! I never played with photography but I encountered this problem with my small and simple Panasonic camera. Probably I just switched something in the settings :) These photos are very blurry and look dreamy. What's the reason? I'm using either auto mode or scene/landscape mode.

LCf1MRM.jpg
1QO6HpS.jpg
4MfEcXl.jpg

Is that Bali? Looks like the lens is fogged up by the humidity.

Hazy lens is what it looks like. Airborne cooking oil particulates can form this type of film, as can heavy smoke from campfires, open fires, incense, or heavy cigarette smoking. Some types of FOAMS, such as padding in camera cases, suit cases, etc. can cause this in what's called out-gassing or off-gassing. The foam padding found in some camera filter holders (the round, flat two-piece cases sometimes have a round, thin foam disc inside that prevents rattling) causes this pretty badly.

Thanks for the responses! Yes, it's Bali, so it's quite humid over there. So that's the thing probably. So simple :)

Derrel, I think it's not the case here, I don't think my camera was exposed to such things, also I keep it in the same came all the time. Thanks for the info anyway - would not think about this.

[EDIT]Is there some easy way to correct this is in Photoshop or any program?[/EDIT]

As already determined, the hot, humid Bali air is most likely fogging the lens and possibly the internal lens elements as well.

It's no different than someone such as I, who wears glasses, goes from a comfortably air conditioned environment outside on a hot, humid day...my glasses fog up. The reverse is true in the winter, going from a cold, maybe 20 degree outdoor air into a somewhat humid house or office, the glasses fog up.

The solution is to allow your camera time to 'acclimate' to the changing environment. While you could simply wait 10-15 minutes and hope the moisture has evaporated, it's easier to put your camera in a baggie and seal it. Then move the camera outside and let it warm up without the humidity getting to it. Once it's warmed up, the humidity won't condense on/in the lens.

The baggie trick works both ways in the winter, not only from cold to warm/moist but from warm/moist to cold. Unprotected, the humidity in the camera may freeze up when going outside when the temperature is below freezing...well below freezing. The trapped moisture would first fog things up, then freeze as the glass and metal elements temperature drops below freezing.

In short, camera gear needs time to acclimate to changed environments. Handling humidity changes is also critical.

Besides this, I'm guessing that a more expensive camera which protects its internal elements better solves the problem too. Then you just have to clean the humidity from outside.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back