K1000 Blank Exposures

steelphoto12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have been taking photos for about 2.5-3 years now. My girlfriend bought me an old school K1000 Pentax for my Bday last year. I have been reading and watching lots of informational articles online and so i decided to load up a roll of film in there and just test it out. I have now gone through 3 rolls of film, all different brands bought at different stores. The issue i am having is all the rolls are blank with no exposures/frames. I have tried both color and B/W. my latest roll was an Ilford HP5 Plus 400 B/W.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? I can confirm the shutter works fine, i have tested that with various speeds and modes it works fine. I actually took a few night shots on "Bulb" with a tripod and absolutely nothing on the roll of film.

I am just puzzled and dont know how to figure this out.

Thanks
David

Is it possible the film advance is not advancing the film? When you rewind, can you feel the tension of the film?

I'm not familiar withy that camera - I'm assuming it has manual advance and rewind.

So you have confirmed that the shutter does work... opens and closes?

Are your develops black?

Film in correctly?

When you're at the end of the roll, does the advance lever stop and lock?

Open the back and look... trip the shutter and you should see the rear of the lens. If not, even at longer shutter speeds, then your shutter it toast.

another simple thing to check is your meter.

Make sure you're not metering for 400 film with 3200 ASA.

Here's a picture of my K1000 set to 3200:

20121202_212238.jpg

another simple thing to check is your meter.

Make sure you're not metering for 400 film with 3200 ASA.

Here's a picture of my K1000 set to 3200:

Two stops UE should not render the film black.

I think he might have a film advance problem.

OP,

Rewind some of that developed blank film back in the little can and put it back in your camera. Before you do though put some numbers or letters on the back of the film with a white marker or grease pencil. Advance the film, click the shutter, advance the film, open the back, look at the number. Repeat, if the number has not changed then the film has not advanced.

Are you sure you are properly engaging the film leader on the advance cogs before you shut the back? You should be able to advance the film a couple of frames before you shut the back just to check you've done it right.

As as been asked above, are you sure the shutter is operating? Look through the back of the camera as you click the shutter. You should b able to see light as the shutter opens.

I've had one of those many moons ago, they are very simple machines and easy to diagnose. Repairs might be a problem.

You should notice the rewind knob turning while you advance also... make sure it is.

Thank you all for the replies.

the shutter works for sure, the film also advances, and the ASA settings at set to 400 (same as the film). also i uploaded the below youtube video that i just recorded with my phone, (quality might not be the greatest but this will give you a good idea)

I have tried to take pictures using the light meter which works fine btw, i have replaced the battery and when i move the camera from pointing it to a light bulb in the room to a dark side i see the lever moving.

K1000 issue blank film - YouTube

I couldn't really tell from the video if the shutter is in fact working. It was too dark in there. I'd take the film out, take the lens off, and run it through the shutter speeds. If you can see light, then the shutter is working. (Look through the back of the camera).

I noticed in the video that you had the shutter speed set to 1/1000. That's a pretty fast shutter speed. Is that a setting you were actually using? If so, were you outside in bright sunlight. If not, then there's either something really wrong w/ the meeter or you're not using the meter correctly. What type of camera have you been using, what mode is it in, and do you have a good understanding of metering and how cameras work? [If this sounds condescending, that isn't my goal. Everyone starts photography with absolutely no understanding of this stuff and I don't know where you are in the process]

The next most likely culprit is something is going wrong in developing. What films, specifically, have you run through the camera and how are you getting them developed. (For example, if you took that HP5 to wal-mart, then they're using the wrong chemicals and it won't develop or if you're doing it yourself, you've probably got the chemicals out of order or mixed wrong.)

hi Courtyoungblood, Before putting a new roll in there i did test out the shutter where the lens was off and yes i did see the light come all the way through. (your dont sound condescending lol its ok). I have gone through 3 rolls of film with all different shutter speeds. I am starting to think that the film is not being developed correctly, i take them to walgreens.

I have been using a canon 7d for about a year and half now.

hi Courtyoungblood, Before putting a new roll in there i did test out the shutter where the lens was off and yes i did see the light come all the way through. (your dont sound condescending lol its ok). I have gone through 3 rolls of film with all different shutter speeds. I am starting to think that the film is not being developed correctly, i take them to walgreens.

I have been using a canon 7d for about a year and half now.

:lol: You cannot develop B/W film at those stores.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110109183333AAR89yX

The lightmeter on the K1000 is not coupled to the aperture/shutter....

I've never seen a walgreens who was equipped to develop B&W negatives.

i knew that might have been the issue.... and that A-hole (same guy! all three times!!!) looked at the film and said "o nice, its B/W, give us 24 hours and they will be ready"...

Thank you all for the input, i will take this roll to a photo shop where they specialize in this field.

Stay tuned..

I see the MIRROR working, but can't see if the SHUTTER is.

Remove the film. Open the back. Set the shutter to a long shutter speed (say, 1/2 second) and aim the camera at a bright light. Press the shutter button and you should be able to see the back of your lens.

If you can't see any light through the back of the camera, no matter how bright your light is and how long the shutter is open, then the shutter is dead.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back