ksmattfish's camera collection

i just recently started lookin at all the vintage cameras on eBay and i find myself bidding on things that don't even work just to have them for decoration on my bookshelves and stuff. i can already tell this is going to get way out of hand even if these things each only cost me like 5 bucks. :p

today i just won an auction for a fully functional brownie reflex synchro. so now i will have to figure out how to use it. and i also have to get my hands on some 127 film. this should be interesting for me. :wink:

Wow, Matt! This list makes me totally jealous....gives me itchy fingers, too! Can I come over and play with the *toys*??? :D

This may belong under general photography questions but seems quite appropriate here....

Does anybody know of a good photography book that is dedicated to cameras throughout the years? Not so much how to operate the cameras but the different styles. I've been looking for one but haven't really found one in the stores I've been in.

Not Neve said:
This may belong under general photography questions but seems quite appropriate here....

Does anybody know of a good photography book that is dedicated to cameras throughout the years? Not so much how to operate the cameras but the different styles. I've been looking for one but haven't really found one in the stores I've been in.

Hmm... I thought I replied to your inquiry, yet I don't see it posted. I must have hit the wrong button. :oops:

I use Price Guide to Antique & Classic Still Cameras by McKeown and The Kove International Blue Book

Also search 'Collecting Cameras' or 'Camera Collecting' on Half.com, you'll find more books there.

Bookstores don't usually carry any books regarding camera collecting, their values and such. It feels like a boycott! :evil:

Hi folks. I'm new here and it was great to see you have a section for "collecting". I have only started collecting fairly recently and most are just cheapies but I find them fascinating all the same. You guys have some great cameras between you.

I have an unidentified Voigtlander folding camera and another unidentified one made by Rex. I'll maybe post a picture tomorrow to see if anyone know's more about them.

Here's my wee collection:

Folding Cameras

Voigtlander
Unidentified

Kodak Folding Autographic Junior Model-A
1914 to 1927

Kodak No.2-A Folding Autographic Brownie,
1916 to1926

Kodak Six-20 Folding Brownie
1948-54

Rex
Unidentifies

Franka-Werk Solida III

Box Cameras

Kodak No.2 Box Brownie Model F
1924 - 1933

Kodak Popular Brownie
1937 - 1938

Kodak Brownie Flash IV
1957-59

Compact Cameras

Balda - Baldixette

Kodak Instamatic 133 (my first camera when I was a kid)
1968-70

Alan

SleepyLizard said:
I have an unidentified Voigtlander folding camera and another unidentified one made by Rex.

Alan

Welcome Alan! Good to have you here. :D

I can identify cameras two ways, one by looking at them and the other one based on a really good description (i.e. lens/shutter combination, serial number in some cases). I will be looking forward to see a few pictures of the two unidentified, or some very good descriptions, for that matter.

There are three Rex cameras that I know of, chances are yours is one of them:

1- Rex Kayson, a 35mm Japanese camera, a rangefinder with 45/3.5 lens in Compur 1-300.

2- Rex Magazine Camera made in 1899 Chicago, 4x5 format, plate changing mechanism and simple shutter and lens.

3- Rex Magazine Camera (see above) but in 2x2 format.

Let me know if yours is one of them.

Cheers,

Dimitri

SleepyLizard said:
Thanks for the welcome. It's none of them I'm afraid. I'll post some pics in a seperate thread shortly.

Great, I'll get some more info on the Rex meanwhile.

Take care Allan.

ksmattfish said:
TwistMyArm said:
Ever think of opening a museum? :lol:

Someday I'd like to help put together a museum on film photography to teach all the young whippersnappers what it was like before memory cards and batteries.

You mean there use to be cameras that didnt use memory cards or batteries? How did the electronics work then? *Smirks*.

Speaking of yard sales, last summer I passed up on buying a slr 35mm camera at a yard sale cuz part of it was broken. Im still kicking myself, hehe. I forget what part of it was broken though. Ive also seen old film cameras at yard sales but didnt bother getting a price on them because I didnt know if they worked, how to use them, or if you could even get film for them anymore. :0) I need to start to do research to buy a 35mm manual slr camera in the next month.

Heres the long list of cameras I have.

Fujifilm Finepix 3800

20 year old handheld 35mm camera with one button zoom lense that doubles the magnification or tripples. :0)

Ive been following some on ebay but they all go for to much at the last minute.

GerryDavid said:
Speaking of yard sales, last summer I passed up on buying a slr 35mm camera at a yard sale cuz part of it was broken. Im still kicking myself, hehe. I forget what part of it was broken though. Ive also seen old film cameras at yard sales but didnt bother getting a price on them because I didnt know if they worked, how to use them, or if you could even get film for them anymore. :0) I need to start to do research to buy a 35mm manual slr camera in the next month.

Ive been following some on ebay but they all go for to much at the last minute.

Yeah, yard sales are a boon. I've picked a few cameras sold as 'broken', put new batteries and 'voila', a good functioning camera.

I go garage saling when I've got the urge to be out and about shooting, but for some reason can't get right-brained. This doesn't happen too often, but surprisingly, I've gotten my best garage sale deals when it does. I think my "vintage camera sense" must have been tingling.

Interesting variety of cameras. Visit my web site to see part my collection.

Here's some pics of a few of the users in my collection.

Ansco Titan 6x6 folder

3396593923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E232348%3A%3B%3A6%3A6%3Aot1lsi

Zeiss Ikonta C Tessar

3396593923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E232348%3A%3B%3A6%3A72ot1lsi

Anniversary Speed Graphic (shown with Schneider 150mm)

3396593923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E232348%3A%3B%3A6%3A73ot1lsi

Rolleiflex 3.5E Planar

3396593923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E232348%3A%3B%3A%3A555ot1lsi

And although it's not a vintage camera, here's my Pentax 67II (shown with 90mm leaf shutter lens). I can only afford old model lenses, prisms, etc.... so maybe that counts. It'll be a classic someday (soon probably).

3396593923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E232348%3A%3B%3A6%3A74ot1lsi

I stumbled on this thread after Ks's darkroom thread, and if yall go over there (in the drakroom section) he has a picture of his complete collection in its pretty little case.

Most reactions

Back