Laptop shopping!

my personal favourite are Lenovo/IBM .

After various experience with lots of Dell, HP, Vaio/Sony, Samsung and all that, I have to say that we had lots of problems with those brands.

The Lenovos are really sturdy (and that means really sturdy), and if you spend a bit on the X60s or whatever they are called these days, they are even ultraportable.

The X61 would be my ultimate choice (well, x300 actually, but WAY too pricy), but the only problem is that there's no touchpad...it has the nub only, which for me is but I know could be a dealbreaker for some.

I just grabbed a Dell Inspiron 1525 with 250gb hard drive, 4gig of RAM, 2.16gHz core 2 duo processor (and it is purty shiny green :p) for less than $850. I've owned a Dell for something like 4 years and I've only just recently started having problems with it (of course, I built the first one for astrophotography and I could probably drop kick it and it wouldn't be any worse off than it is now). The bare minimum Inspiron line is pretty weak but if you get a good deal and can upgrade those minimums (most definitely the processor, and you could stand for some more memory especially with Vista) it serves its purpose.

uuummmmm... a macbook is in your price range.

If you will re-read what I've already said, a macbook with everything I want is not in my price range. Macbooks are the only laptops I've done serious research on, so I know this.

Thanks for the continued advice everyone. I look forward to researching all of your suggestions.

Take out a mortgage and get the macbook. :)

The Dell M series are good. I think they tack on an XPS to the name these days.
Consumer grade notebooks from dell and hp are pretty much yuck tho! Steer clear.

I've been hearing awesome things about Lenovo slim-line models and it's IdeaPad 510 business class model too..

BoXX used to make a good laptop but I think they're leaning more on the heavy metal side these days.

The Acer seems to get good reviews. I dunno it well though.

Really, just figure out a way to get the mac! :D

I don't think I've looked at Lenova at all. I will definitely be looking at that when I get home tonight.

Sorry, I didn't read your post thoroughly. Save for a mac, you know it's what you really want...

Just wondering... Why would you pay so much for a mac book when you aren't really getting as much? Just because its a macbook?

Let's please not turn this into a mac vs pc thread. I just want advice on PC laptops.

P.S. Sorry if I sound cranky today . . . haven' thad much sleep. :p

Let's please not turn this into a mac vs pc thread. I just want advice on PC laptops.

P.S. Sorry if I sound cranky today . . . haven' thad much sleep. :p

Sorry... Was just wondering though..

Cranky is fine. It happens. Go with it. Beeee the crankyness... :D

i just bought an HP for my wife dual core Intel 320gig hd 3gig ram and nividia vidio card at Circuit City. 699.00 after rebate seams OK. I think like you should look for one with at 4gig ram or more to handle the apps you want to run.
The Fujitsu has the best display and a shock resistant case and wate resistant keyboard for 849.00
Troy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back