Legal Rights of Photographers

Danny159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

Does anyone have a MS Word document with the Legal Rights of Photographers documation on it?
That I could have?

Danny :heart:

The rights of photographers are the same as all other citizens...so you might as well look up your constitution :er: :lol:

Well I mean where I have the right to take photos and what of...

That's a very complicated subject that depends entirely on the situation. If you have a specific question in mind - ask away. if not, a little time Googling will bring you lots of information...

Well one is can the Police stop you from taking photos in a public place?

Danny :heart:

Generally speaking, if it can be seen from public property, it can be photographed from public property. There are a few reasonable exceptions, like voyeurism (eg.: using a long telephoto to peer through someone's bedroom window), and a few stupid exceptions, like certain buildings or "security".

Here is a good start: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

As mentioned, it's a complicated issue.

For the most part, you are allowed to take photos of anything while you are in a public place. However, if a police officer asks you to stop, it's probably best not to cause a fuss....because even if they are in the wrong, they could easily find another reason to detain you or otherwise ruin your day. They usually don't like to be told that they are wrong. This has been discussed many times on the forum...try searching around and see if you can dig up those older threads.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UXk4nLIv5jo[/ame]

^Watch.

However, if a police officer asks you to stop, it's probably best not to cause a fuss....because even if they are in the wrong, they could easily find another reason to detain you or otherwise ruin your day.
That's more of a problem with the law being broken and enabling selective enforcement, but you're probably right either way.

Good and informative video, but that is the gayest sounding voice-over ever :lol:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back