Lens for boxing matches????

nomav6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
was just asked to go take some pics of some fights, I was told that I would get a press pass so I would be ring side, so I was look to get a new lens all I have right now is a 35-80MM and a 50MM and was wondering if this lens would help out
http://www.adorama.com/SG70300SMEOS.html

Thanks

Yes, that lens would help out, but, depending on the available light, and wether or not you can use flash, that may not be fast enough. If you are shooting on the long telephoto end you'll be at 5.6.

I have that lens, btw. It's decent, but I upgaded to the Canon 70-200 f/4 L

dont think I"ll be able to afford the Canon 70-200 f/4 L for a little while though :( but it is on my wish list

as you'll be ringside i would suggest getting a wider zoom such as a 18-70mm, 24-120mm or a 28-200mm. so you can get shots close up and afar. 70mm is a bit too close i think. though if your 50mm is 2.8 or wider, i can't see why that wouldn't be good enough.

don't forget if you can't use flash photography and the light isn't great, at further zoom lengths you will need a fast shutter speed and a steady hand.

steve817 said:
See if you can rent one.

going to look into that too, also I get a raise at the first of march :) I just dont know how much yet, and I picked up two more jobs so I might be able to afford it sooner then I had thought :)

the 2.8 IS would be the one I would rent, wished I could buy that one but theres just no way I could right now so I'll just try and save for the f/4

Definately 2.8 - have got one and although the f4 is lighter the extra stop and IS is worth every penny and every backache.

I'd do 2 bodies - one with the 70-200 f.2.8 on and a 24-70 f.2.8L as well on another. Should give you everything you need.

Make sure that your insurance is up to date and 3rd party is covered - Press around a ring can get pretty hectic and you don't want to be buying another lense or dealing with a law suit when you knock someone out with your 70-200 swinging!

Spike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back