Lens for school newspaper

If the budget is killing you,you might consider going with the SB600 instead of the SB800. That will save you about $140. The guide number is higher by a 1/4 on the 800 but the only thing you will want an on camera flash for is fill anyway

i would disagree here. Flashes are used in sports photography straight on pretty much any time they are used. This is because of the distance the subject will be from you (thinking football mainly here) and because there isn't a problem with a shadow b/c the background is typically so blurred, plus sports arenas are infamous for crappy lighting. I'd get the best flash possible. Also I'd suggest scrapping the tripod. Get a monopod, you will appreciate the mobility in sports, or simply hand hold the 200, its not really that heavy.

I'd get the f/2 70-200 canon if its within the budget. Very nice range of applications, and I think for journalism and sports both you'll need the zoom flexiblity. If you're on a budget you can get the f/4 which is what I'm using now.

we have six enlargers, 3 of which doesnt work have the time and one is like really ghetto, they have all been donated to us but one. no school cameras, year book has a point and shoot. the video broadcasting got 3 camcorders and a green screen... :p but all in all we are resonably well off. anything is better then no dark room

Hey guys,

Well I approached the suprintendant, who seemed like she liked the idea. However, the principal would rather spend the money on more, cheaper cameras. So I was thinking of proposing we get 2 Nikon D40s with the kit lenses, and a single fast telephoto for shooting sports.

Any suggestions on the lens? Let's say the same price: around $800.

Thanks

Hey guys,

Well I approached the suprintendant, who seemed like she liked the idea. However, the principal would rather spend the money on more, cheaper cameras. So I was thinking of proposing we get 2 Nikon D40s with the kit lenses, and a single fast telephoto for shooting sports.

Any suggestions on the lens? Let's say the same price: around $800.

Thanks

If you can get your hands on a D50 you'd have an easier time finding good deals on lenses, as the D40 does not have the focusing motor, leaving you to manually focus non AF-S/AF-I lenses, meaning the ever popular 50mm f1.8 prime will have to be manually focused. (a real jem of a lens for sports photography, especially basketball)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back