Lens Hood vs Filter

I hate filters and only use them when necessary (neutral density filter for example). I wouldn't use a filter for 'protection', I'd use it for its intended purpose.

So what do you use for protecting your lenses ?

I'm not noyze, but I think his answer will be similar to mine.

Lens cap, hood, and common sense. ;)

Lens cap when you're not shooting, hood when you are, common sense all the time.

So a neutral color only protect the lens ?

No. Neutral Density filters make everything darker without messing up the colors and everything.

Without getting into a lot of detail, its used a lot with flashes. Flashes are special so you can't use shutter speeds much over 1/200 of a second. So, you put one of those ND filters on, and you get the shot you want (right aperture, ISO and shutter speed).

No. Neutral Density filters make everything darker without messing up the colors and everything.

Without getting into a lot of detail, its used a lot with flashes. Flashes are special so you can't use shutter speeds much over 1/200 of a second. So, you put one of those ND filters on, and you get the shot you want (right aperture, ISO and shutter speed).
:confused: :confused: :confused: :scratch:

Well my choice is made

I will buy two lens hoods, one for my 18-55 and another one for my 55-250.

Thanks for all the help.

What? Do people not use ND with flash? IT works too with effects where you want to lower shutter speed (like water), but it works also with flashes, right?

Buy a cheap UV filter, Most come in at about £5 ($7.80 i think)
Or a Clear Filter from $15+

AND a hood

Every lens I have (with the exception to my crappy mirror lens) has a UV Filter (hoya) And a Lens hood (with the exception of my 50mm f1.8 but i plan to buy a petal for it soon)

Atleast that way its about 60% protected from most damages that will occur (Figure is a Guesstimate)

Yeesh, I keep getting ninja'd by posts on this forum. You're talking about the max sync speed Baark, and I occasionally use ND filters to get my ambient down to a workable level where I don't have to use high-speed sync, notably when using my V4 triggers, since they don't support high-speed sync. Slap a 3-stop ND on and I'm good. Of course, shooting in better light is the preferable option.

What? Do people not use ND with flash? IT works too with effects where you want to lower shutter speed (like water), but it works also with flashes, right?

I'm not usually using a strobe or flash at such a close distance that I need the manual light output reduction. Besides with modern TTL for flash there is much less need for it. Just didn't see that as the Main focus of a ND filter these days. Well unless you are using a fixed frame rate movie camera. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back