Lens Protection Filter

Rivers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Lumix DMC-FZ5 with a Leica lens. I want to buy a filter to protect the front lens. Does anyone know if it is worth buying the HOYA "Professional" multicoated UV filter or is the standard HOYA UV filter (less than half the price) good enough?

Any UV filter that covers the front lens is all that's needed.

Agreed.

There's an adaptor which I cannot remember the name of right now. It attaches closer to the lens, I can't remember exactly how, and allows for one to put filters on the Fz cameras without having to carry around the big lens hood too. I'll have the check on the name of it, unless someone here knows it. You may want to invest in that as well.

As a Leica user of some four decades, I would never place an inexpensive, i.e. cheap, filter in front of my Leica lenses because of a number of factors: (1) they may not be plane parallel; (2) the quality of the filter's glass will be less than that of the lens you're protecting; and (3) you could easily run into the problems of reflections - internal or otherwise. In short, why go to the point of purchasing excellent equipment and then degrade your images.

Personally, I would opt for a B+W pro filter with anti-reflection coating or perhaps a Leitz filter if they make one for your camera.

Even if they are a little expensive for your budget, save your money and then purchase it when you are able.

Best regards,

Bill

wharrison said:
As a Leica user of some four decades, I would never place an inexpensive, i.e. cheap, filter in front of my Leica lenses because of a number of factors: (1) they may not be plane parallel; (2) the quality of the filter's glass will be less than that of the lens you're protecting; and (3) you could easily run into the problems of reflections - internal or otherwise. In short, why go to the point of purchasing excellent equipment and then degrade your images.

Personally, I would opt for a B+W pro filter with anti-reflection coating or perhaps a Leitz filter if they make one for your camera.

Even if they are a little expensive for your budget, save your money and then purchase it when you are able.

Best regards,

Bill

yes, absolutly

Most reactions

New Topics

Back