lens question

If memory serves me, 200mm is about 10x zoom in lay terms. I could be wrong.
Actually it is about 2.5x my 80-400 is 5x @ 400mms. With the crop the field of view is 7.5x so, the 200 is 3.75x on a DX sensor. This is according to the Nikon users guide for my lens.

I've got the 70-300 AF-S VR that's a great lens. If you want to see what it can do in my hands, see here, here, and here.

The VR works great, the focus is pretty fast, although it tends to search it's entire focal length when trying to focus near the min focus distance.

Actually it is about 2.5x my 80-400 is 5x @ 400mms. With the crop the field of view is 7.5x so, the 200 is 3.75x on a DX sensor. This is according to the Nikon users guide for my lens.

Really? I'm not being sarcastic, but why does Nikon/Canon advertise (in lay terms on retailers websites like Walmart or Best Buy) that the kit lens of 18-55 is a 3x zoom?

Hmm...More research I must do...Xx zoom vs. mm is confusing

On a crop body camera, a 35 mm focal length is about as close to what your eye sees as you'll get.

So a 200mm is about 5.75 times zoom if you want to figure it that way.

For field sports, 200 mm is usually a bit short (even shooting from the sidelines), unless you don't mind cropping nearly every image to scale it up so you can see the action. But when you crop, you're throwing pixels away.

300 mm is what I consider the minimum for field sports. For field sports, I use a 400mm or a 150-500mm zoom.

Really? I'm not being sarcastic, but why does Nikon/Canon advertise (in lay terms on retailers websites like Walmart or Best Buy) that the kit lens of 18-55 is a 3x zoom?

Hmm...More research I must do...Xx zoom vs. mm is confusing

Because the 18-55 IS a 3x zoom.

that measurement is just the longest zoom divided by the shortest...

so 18-55 is 3x
55-200 is also 3x (Closer to 3.6x)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back