Lens recommendation needed

emmaica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the cheapest wide angle fast lens for CANON?

Hope you can recommend by your own review and by posting pics taken.
(I am reading a lot of reviews in the net and i want a real review by real users)

Thanks in advance. Much respect to you all.

"cheapest" and "fast" are juxtaposed in the same sentence. :D

How do you define wide angle?
How do you define fast?

I love my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 -- on the 1.6 crop-sensor it's relatively wide at the 17 end. Not cheap at $405 on amazon, but cheaper than the Canon equivalent.

I see from your profile that you have the new Rebel. Since that is a cropped frame camera, wide angle options are kind of limited. Wide angle for a full-frame camera won't be as wide on a Rebel.

I use this one:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Y5WXE[/ame]

Sigma has a 10mm-20mm and Tokina has a 12mm-24mm that are a little cheaper, but not as fast (or not as good wide open).

I don't have a lot of my photos online, but here is one taken with the Canon lens (on a Rebel XTi). It at least gives you an idea of how wide it is.

2284695120103916245ygzNXh_ph.jpg

Here are a couple with my Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 at 10mm. I love this lens.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-10-20mm-4-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U00X0/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1219636815&sr=8-2[/ame]

_MG_2208.jpg

walkway.jpg

pardon me if i have the wrong question?
just a newbie here who wants to shoot events (concerts, fashion show)
and i think i need to cover the whole stage thats why i asked for wide angle lens, fast for low light. hope someone can enlighten me, and please no more haters. we all do suck at the beginning right? thanks.

I think most concert and fashion show photography I've seen falls in the 80 to 200mm range somewhere. Wide for backstage though.

I smuggled my camera into a Yes concert once and the 135mm (full frame) lens took the best shots from the 5th row! My wide angle was fairly useless. When I listen to photographers who cover red carpet events like fashion shows and etc. they're usually talking about something in a 80 to 200mm range.

pardon me if i have the wrong question?
just a newbie here who wants to shoot events (concerts, fashion show)
and i think i need to cover the whole stage thats why i asked for wide angle lens, fast for low light. hope someone can enlighten me, and please no more haters. we all do suck at the beginning right? thanks.

I think you're misreading the posts... I'm pretty sure most people were trying to be helpful not hateful just a thought.

I don't think you want a wide angle lens if you are shooting fashion shows. (Not least because the models will hate you. Wide angles tend to make people look fat, especially if they are near the edge of frame.)

And it's probably not necessary. Stages aren't that wide.

I don't think you want a wide angle lens if you are shooting fashion shows. (Not least because the models will hate you. Wide angles tend to make people look fat, especially if they are near the edge of frame.)

And it's probably not necessary. Stages aren't that wide.

but concert stages are sir :wink:

They are. But a shot of the whole stage is almost always terribly uninteresting. The people become like ants, all the unlit areas to either side become silhouetted intrusions on what otherwise might be a good shot. The only time I can think of where wide (40 to 50mm) would work well is with the camera at 90˚ in portrait orientation and cutting in a large section of the audience.

Maybe shooting inside a small nightclub/live-house or something it would work tho.

Most reactions

Back