Lens sharpnes help!

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think my 50mm 1.4 Canon lens is either not focusing spot on or Im doing something wrong. Is there some kind of test I can do at home check the lens focus. An example is of my little girl sometimes the eyes aren't quite sharp and sometimes her checks look real soft. Im at work so when I get home I will post what Im talking about. Oh and the f-stop is around 6 so its not like Im shooting wide open. Any ideas?

well i know on the nikon systems you can "fine tune" focus in the menus. I don't know if this is the same for canon though. I would assume it is, but you know what happenes when we assume. someone will run along herre and let ya know whats up.

What method of focusing are you using?
At f/6, what shutter speed and ISO?
Is it just camera "shake"?
Post some pics with EXIF info...

I think my 50mm 1.4 Canon lens is either not focusing spot on or Im doing something wrong. Is there some kind of test I can do at home check the lens focus. An example is of my little girl sometimes the eyes aren't quite sharp and sometimes her checks look real soft. Im at work so when I get home I will post what Im talking about. Oh and the f-stop is around 6 so its not like Im shooting wide open. Any ideas?

That part sounds more like a shallow DOF, are you shooting at f1.4?

That part sounds more like a shallow DOF, are you shooting at f1.4?

No....

I totally forgot that the BCS Championship was last night! I will post some shots tonight when I get home. Im not shooting wide open(Ive already experienced those issues with DOF) and the lens is not new. The lens is about 7months old, I originaly thought it was just an issue with my Rebel XT but I just got a 50d and appears to be doing the same thing.

you need glasses
or
TRIPOD.
more light (not aimed in her eyes directly) and faster a shutter speed... if you want lol

and if you use it a lot it gets worn you know?
idk few hints

Last edited:
Here is the example , after studing them I guess its camera shake? what do you think. exif :f6.3 1/30 iso 2000 50d with 50mm 1.4. Image straight out of camera. I realize its just a snapshot but would like them to be sharp.
IMG_0161.jpg

Try your micro adjustment setting on the 50D. It may be off a little. I fine tuned mine using a page of writing from any olfd book laid out on a table. set your camera to its maximum aperture and shoot at the lowest angle almost parallel to the text. focus on a single of a word and then playback the image to see if the focus is off in a backward or forward direction, then change your microadjustment accordingly. there are fancy focus chats online but i found thi sto work great. Good luck

1/30 is too slow to hand hold for you or the subject. You really need to be at 1/60 at the very least. With children I always shoot at 1/125 or higher.

Most reactions

Back