Lens suggestions for beginner with D3000

AG74683

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Gonna be purchasing a D3000 here in the next week or two....been looking at another lens to pick up to compliment the 18-55.

Budget for the lens is 200-300ish...so unfortunately it appears my options are slightly limited...

I was thinking about the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR...or the Nikon 50mm f/1.8...1.4 is a little out of my range, plus Im not sure Id really notice the faster lens at this point.

Ive only really been looking at Nikon lenses, as I dont really know which third party brands to look at and which ones to avoid...

Id like to be able to photograph some wildlife stuff and sports shots (mostly Hockey...). From what Im reading though this takes at least 300mm and that's definitely not within my budget!

Thanks for any help!

50mm f/1.8

hehe had to beat atlas.....hmmmm... where is he...

My advice is .... if you are really not sure what to get first, then just stay with the kit lens for now. Get to know your camera gears and learn more about photography. Once you know more, you should know what you need to get next.

The 50mm prime lens and the telephoto zoom lens are for different purposes. And nobody knows which one is better for you. I know which one is better for me though. Really, if you are not sure now, just wait. :) my 2 cents.

Sure, waiting until you "know" is fine advice...but buying is more fun! ;)

I would suggest the 35mm f1.8 over the 50mm f1.8 for the D3000 simply because the 35mm is an AF-S lens that will autofocus on your body. The 50mm will be manual focus only.

My advice is .... if you are really not sure what to get first, then just stay with the kit lens for now. Get to know your camera gears and learn more about photography. Once you know more, you should know what you need to get next.

The 50mm prime lens and the telephoto zoom lens are for different purposes. And nobody knows which one is better for you. I know which one is better for me though. Really, if you are not sure now, just wait. :) my 2 cents.

Damn you said what i always say :x

I would suggest the 35mm f1.8 over the 50mm f1.8 for the D3000 simply because the 35mm is an AF-S lens that will autofocus on your body. The 50mm will be manual focus only.

Actually, I think the 35mm was the one I intended to list...whoops!

I just figured I should buy now while I have the money, instead of wanting a new lens when Im broke and cant afford it :p

I just figured I should buy now while I have the money, instead of wanting a new lens when Im broke and cant afford it :p

How are you going to shoot wildlife and sport with a 35mm :confused:

How are you going to shoot wildlife and sport with a 35mm :confused:

Thats what I am torn between really. I know that I cant. BUT, I also cant afford the correct lens in order to do so....I suppose wildlife/sport shooting will have to come later.

It really only comes down to what you want to shoot with. It is like you have money now and you would like to get a drink. I say go get a coffee, but you may just want a soda. Different person have different priority and different interest. :)

I really do not think other people can make the choice for you since the lenses you planning to get are for different things.

If you ask to choose between 18-200mm VR from Nikon, 18-250mm OS from Sigma and 18-270mm VC from Tamron, we maybe able to give you more information such as why someone will pick the Nikon over the Tamron or vice versa.

Hope you understand. :)

Totally understand...

I guess I should rephrase my question to "What lenses are the best for a beginner to learn on?"

Is that a bit better?

Suppose he does that and subsequently decides that telephoto work is his bag?

I'm with Dao.

Totally understand...

I guess I should rephrase my question to "What lenses are the best for a beginner to learn on?"

Is that a bit better?

The basic 18-55. Did you learn to drive on a general purpose sedan or a specialized sports car or limousine or truck? After you learn what you're doing, you can make your own decision as whether you want more reach (telephoto) or wider image (wide angle) or controlled DoF (f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime 50mm or 85mm), etc.

Totally understand...

Is that a bit better?

The basic 18-55. Did you learn to drive on a general purpose sedan or a specialized sports car or limousine or truck? After you learn what you're doing, you can make your own decision as whether you want more reach (telephoto) or wider image (wide angle) or controlled DoF (f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime 50mm or 85mm), etc.

Do'h! This makes complete sense! Maybe I'll just stick with the 18-55 for now.

Good example, Plato!

OP, let me ask you some questions.

Do you always want to shoot photos with shadow Depth of Field?
Do you often have the situation that you will say, "Arrrg ... I wish I have a longer (telephoto) lens .. now the deer photo looks like an ant photo."

Most reactions

Back