Lensbaby, yes, or no?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by shorty6049, Mar 13, 2007.

1. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So i am selling my Sony H1, and was thinking about buying a lensbaby for my Alpha. Has anyone used one of these and thought it was worth buying, or thought it wasnt worth it? I'd probably get one of the cheaper versions of it though, because i'm only getting $225 from the sony, and dont want to spend all of it . Whats everyone think of the earlier models? (the ones that arent lockable) Please give me as much as you can, i need help deciding and am having a hard time justifying the price tag. (would it be better just to invest in maybe a used lens or something?)

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If it were me, I'd put the money towards some nice glass that filled a gap in my lens collection. Some will say it's worth every penny, others will say it's a passing fad and is sometimes overdone. I've toyed with the idea, but in the end couldn't justify the cost. IMO it's kind of like a fish eye lens in that it's really nice to have about 5% of the time. I've seen it over used just as I've seen people over use the selective coloring in pics. I also have seen others use different methods in photoshop to closely rival the effects.

I'll now slip out quietly before those who adamently love the thing can come tell you how great it is :)

3. ashfordphoto

ashfordphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've never used one and frankly I'm new to taking pictures...but looking at the pictures on the lensbaby website it looks like something that is easily done quickly in photoshop.

So, for me - play with photoshop instead and buy a new lens for your collection!

4. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i agree that it is something that would be easy to recreate in PS, but then its not really creative photography anymore....., its just photo editing... but that is a good point though... thats definately one thing to consider... so ok, then here's another question (but dont stop writing answers for my first one!, ) if i have a 18-70 , a 28-105, a 55mm prime , and a 35-200mm lens, what else would make a good addition to my collection?

5. ashfordphoto

ashfordphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, they're fun! :thumbup:

Are they for every single shot? Of course not - but then neither is a wide angle or portrait lens. When you see a Lensbaby shot, THAT moment is when it is perfect. It's just another way of visualizing, and can be used to great creative advantage. Given the range of apertures that come with it, it's much more versatile than something like a fisheye - you can get as much or as little of that "LB effect" as you want.

Save the bucks and don't buy the latest. They're still easy to use, of very good quality, and you'll have fun with it for many years.

:the Yes side rests: :lol: Have fun deciding.

7. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i like your avatar

8. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who, me? If so....meet Odin. He's even stranger in person. :lol: Best little dog in the world! :)

9. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i wish my dog could make faces... haha ( i have a miniature schnauzer)

10. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i just feel better about it if i tell someone that i used a lens to create an effect than I do saying i used photoshop....

11. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are always better versions of the lenses you have :)

I have been thinking about it, once I have a collection (like yours) I think I would go for the second version.

12. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i feel like i'd be buying things that i didnt really need then though, if i bought better versions of my current lenses... were you saying you would go for the second version of the lensbaby?