Light painted bike

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did this one last night in my garage. It's my downhill mountain bike toy, and yeah it's old and beat up looking but that just adds character right?

Settings: ISO 100, f/16, approx 1 minute exposure. Light painted using a LED headlamp with a carboard tube over it to act as a snoot to control the light. Samll bit of PP in CS3 (saturation and levels layers, contrast, sharpening, crop, border).

Let me know what you think - I really like how it came out!

4795463217_894f898c22_b.jpg

Amazing effect.... but the clutter in the background shows through... maybe you could cover it up with a black sheet...

Yes, the clutter... Originally I had intended it be a 'garage' scen with dimly lit clutter and workbench etc in the background, but playing around in photoshop I liked it better with a lot of the stuff masked out. I might try re-shooting at the other end of my garage with less clutter aside from some bike-related bits like spare tyres hanging up etc. I guess I don't want it to be a clean, 'bike only' type of shot. I like the effect that the light spill onto the dirty concrete floor gives.

This turned out great I think. Yes the clutter is noticeable but as far as the picture itself I think its awesome. Now let me use this as an opportunity to learn. How come you used such a small aperture with a long exposure instead of maybe f/8 with a much less shutter speed?

This turned out great I think. Yes the clutter is noticeable but as far as the picture itself I think its awesome. Now let me use this as an opportunity to learn. How come you used such a small aperture with a long exposure instead of maybe f/8 with a much less shutter speed?

A longer exposure with less 'sensitivity' to the light (from a narrower aperture) lets me 'paint' the bike more evenly and avoids hotspots and missing areas out altogether. Plus it means I can take my time. In theory I could have left the shutter open for an hour and gone and watched TV and it wouldn't have made a difference to the shot, as there was no other light on the scene aside from the LED light I was using.

What an interesting effect you got. Looks like the sun shone on your bike through nothing but holes in some wall or a low ceiling. I like this a lot.

hey do you mind posting the original? Just to see how that came out from the shot w/out any PP. Thanks!

Yeah I can do but not for a few hours until after I get home from work. The original is pretty much the same looking as this but with more clutter showing around the edges and a few colour/contrast adjustments.

well IMO it looks good. If you do post the pics later would be nice but not a big thing. But regardless, it's really great!

Totally cool in my eyes. I'm desperate to get into off camera lighting to create effects like this. Very nice indeed.

You don't need anything fancy to try it, just a torch and a tripod :)

You don't need anything fancy to try it, just a torch and a tripod :)

This should be an easy thing for me as I got bit by the LED flashlight bug several years ago and have several good flashlights (not your typical walmart ones, but $50+ ones). Though just because I have a few good flashlights doesn't mean I know how to use them for photography. I just know how to light something up real well, lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back