lightroom cc help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kelly5577, Dec 26, 2017.

1. kelly5577

kelly5577 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    hi, i am not a photographer, just like to use my dslr and take pictures of my kids, I have been using lightroom on my desktop but my subscription has run out. when i went to lightroom on my laptop that is new I realized that lightroom cc is what I found. I was able to sign into lightroom and noticed the set up is totally different than what I am used to,

Questions...was I just using an old version? Is lightroom cc the new thing to use? Is the 9.99 option a good option for someone like me who is not a professional? I just like to take basic pics of my kids and edit them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. IronMaskDuval

IronMaskDuval Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    There is lightroom cc and lightroom classic cc. I uae classic on my desktops and other one for my phone. Either should work for you.

3. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

What you were used to was LR CC Classic. The new LR CC is set up so you can have your images in the Adobe Cloud and then edit them from any of your devices. With Classic the images are on a local drive connected to the computer, you can't open the same catalog on multiple devices.

If you signed up for the $9.99 Photography Plan that has LR and PS with 20gb online storage then you have access to both LR CC and LR CC Classic. If you went and signed up for the $9.99 LR CC with 1tb online storage then you just have the new LR CC and no longer have the LR CC Classic or PS.

I believe that most people on here have stayed with the $9.99 Photography Plan and have continued to use the LR CC Classic along with PS. There is also a Photography Plan with 1tb storage, but it is $19.99/month.

4. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Many people are confused, can't understand why Adobe did it this way.
    Lightroom CC is a new app designed for phones and tablets. Limited capabilites and designed to store files in the stupid cloud.
    Lightroom Classic CC is the old software.

5. kelly5577

kelly5577 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the responses. i just uploaded 30 pictures and it took over 10 minutes..is that normal? also, i cant find the modules like library/develop...etc... so i see all the pictures but i cant do anything with them! HELP

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Lightroom CC doesn't have modules.
    Lightroom CC Classic has those modules. You have to subscribe (pay a monthly fee) to get to use Lightroom CC Classic.
    The $9.99 per month subscription includes both Lightroom CC Classic AND Photoshop CC 2018.

7. kelly5577

kelly5577 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm on the free trial. So is that why i cant edit? Thanks forn your help!

8. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    As I recall, if you let your subscription run out the software is still supposed to start... it just wont let you make any edits/adjustments.

I frankly don't understand what Adobe is doing since the new "Lightroom CC" (not the version that they've renamed to "Classic") appears to be roughly on par with... the free Photos app that Apple just gives away on it's phones, iPads, and laptops. If I wanted that... why would I pay Adobe?

9. kelly5577

kelly5577 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you! I am.somehow on a free 3p day trial... i think i just need to sign up for the 9.99 classic and see if that helps! I wanted to try the dree to make sure i was ok w working on my laptop vs. Desktop.

I tried to uoad a picture to show you what i see...but it ssid it is too large uhh

10. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    When uploading here I generally tell Lightroom to "export" and there's an "Image Sizing" option when you export. I set that to "Long Edge" and then set the size to about 1000 pixels.

11. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Though I haven't tried it to verify, my $9.99 plan gave me the option of both CC and the Cloud. Irrelevant though as I have no intention of switching to Cloud and my LR mobile works just fine with CC.

12. kelly5577

kelly5577 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks! I was trying to upload only from my. phone..

So.is classic lr and lightroom cc different set ups? Is classic what i am used to?