Live band shots

CameronDelray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm taking some live shots tomorrow for the first time and I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Any would do. Like if I should use flash, or what?

Like I said, I've never done live shots, so I'm a bit lost.

If it helps any, this show is indoors and will probably have low-light.

Thanks.

Could really use some help hereee.
Sorry to post so late, and double post, but I have to do this shoot tomorrow, and I'm heading out in the morning.

Any opinions?

If the light is really bad then you will have no choice but to use flash. However, make sure you get permission beforehand-- bands often don't really appreciate a flash going off in their eyes all the time. The thing you might try doing is dragging the shutter-- you fire the flash but leave the shutter open long enough to expose for the ambient light-- so the subject is in focus and sharp but the background is lit up with light streaks and whatnot. It makes for interesting and colorful images in situations where you would usually not be able to get much of anything.

Here's one I did where I spun the camera around to streak the background.

207331198_b893j-M.jpg

Heres a few shots I took from a gig I ended up last night. We just went to a pub to shoot pull and there was a live band. I had no equipment. No reflectors, off cam flashes, nothing. So I just had to work with what I had. Some of these were shot at 800 and 1600 iso... bad thing to do if it's commissioned work. If your never going to print anything larger than a 4x6. Go for it.

I have two big recommendations. Brace yourself or use a tripod, try to shoot as the band slows down. This way you can get clear photos with 'ok' exposure. It wont be easy, low light, high energy, annoying flash, it's tough.

_MG_1128.jpg

_MG_1145.jpg

_MG_1152.jpg

these arnt great but dake a look at the exif data and maybe walk away with a few ideas.

One last piece of advice. If you can, avoid your zoom, try to get physically closer. This will allow you to use a larger aperture.

Good luck.

It's not too tough, it's more or less a trial and error thing to get it looking just right. The basic technique is to put the camera in 'M,' set the shutter speed and aperture so that you can get the background to expose correctly. In a situation like a small venue band shoot, this is probably going to be a really slow shutter speed, something like 1/5 of a second or slower. Then, you add in the flash. I think the flash on a D40 should work fine in this case. It can be as easy as just firing and letting the shutter stay open, or you can mix things up and move the camera as it exposes, or even zoom the lens in or out to make a zoom-burst effect. Mostly, just have fun with it and explore some of the different things you can make it do.

Most reactions

Back