Lomography

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tr0gd0o0r, Jul 24, 2004.

1. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone heard about Lomography. A friend of mine was talking to me about it, and from what I've seen on the web, it seems to be photography but not paying attention to any of the technical aspects at all (to thepoint of not using a viewfinder). Anyone else know about this and can give a better description?

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Point-n-shoot with a slow shutter and marketing. The main Lomo camera is always set on slow sync; most modern point-n-shoots have a similar exposure mode, except they are half the price :lol: .

3. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I knew you'd come through on some obscure photography technique, or hype. Whichever this fits into

4. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They try to market these like they have a special light-amplifying lens left over from cold-war KGB technology, but it's just a little bit fast compared to the zoom lens that most point-n-shoots have these days, and it uses slower than normal shutter speeds to slow-sync. The results can be cool, but like I said, completely possible on almost any other camera also. I think $150, or whatever they are charging these days is way too much for a plastic camera. They are maybe worth $40, on a good day (IMHO).

5. simnine

simnine TPF Noob!

gimmick

6. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photography is an art...so this is a new type of art this lomography is....sounds like lonar photography :lol:

Have you ever seen different types of art?
    There is a composer called john cage...and he created a piece called 4:33.

I can teach you all how to play it, walk up to your piano, close the top, and sit there for 4 mins 33 seconds...and then lift the lid, get up, and walk away.

The funny thing is he, or one of his family, sued someone cause they had silence in their song.

But is 4:33 a gimmick, or a type of art? Dadaism I think the name is.

7. StvShoop

StvShoop TPF Noob!

i believe the point of dadaism was to expand/change people's perception of what art is. from what i've read on this thread, seems like the lomo thing is just a gimmick for some company to make some fast, undeserved cash.

the dadaists might have made money on their pieces, i dunno. from what little i know about the movement, it seems that it was focused on humanistic intentions.

8. Artemis

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You know more than me mate no doubt, but just trying to rais a point? is it just the money...or is it art?

9. StvShoop

StvShoop TPF Noob!

i'm not trying to be a wise guy :oops: :p sry if it came off that way
    i don't believe that it's possible to sell an "art process" though... creativity depends on the artist; if the equipment is made to be geared for a narrow range of possible photos, that's the manufacturer's creativity, not the user's.

if the above is horribly off topic, everyone just ignore me plz. i don't know anything about lomography, i'm speculating, and i feel pretentious talking about it :taped sh:

10. Artemis

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just thought Id say mate when I said you knew more I was just beng honest, not sarcastic :) Ive seen your other posts and you seem like the knowledgeble man about these things.

And I don't think we mind yah speculating, to be honest your views on this are very interesting.

But...Alright...there was a piece of art that was a urinal, and the guy signed it, didnt the manufacturer make the urinal? so its the same as lomography.

11. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't tell you what art is, but I can tell you what Lomography is.

Lomography is taking a $35 to $40 plastic point-n-shoot camera from the ex-USSR, coming up with a story about it's special properties of light amplification (which is just slowing down the shutter), packaging it with a poster and a T-shirt, and convincing people it's hip and trendy, and charging $160 for it.

Can people make "art" with it? Sure, but it's mostly about cash money!!! Skip the T-shirt and poster, and get an Olympus Stylus Epic for $80 or $90, set it on "nightscene" exposure mode, and you have a much better camera that'll do the same thing as a Lomo camera for half the price.

"Lomo" has come to refer to many plasticy cameras coming out of the ex-USSR, and some aren't too expensive, and do a pretty good job (such as the Lubitel TLR). If folks want to use a plastic camera, have fun, make art, then more power to them. I just don't like the excessive price, and hipster marketing campaign that the Lomo sellers are using. Rather than educate their customers in photo basics (slow sync technique), they try to shroud it in some mystery of "Dr. Lomo" or whoever. They even try to push their own "special" film, which is just cheapo 35mm, and processing.

All that bitching aside, I have friends who've bought these things, and have fun with them. They agree that it's probably silly to pay so much for a cheap camera, poster, and a T-shirt, but they like it. To each their own, I guess.

12. Artemis

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, thats a pritty clever way of putting it, but I just feel, one mans rubbish, is another mans Art, as you say to each his own.

Could someone give me a website of Lomography, I wanna check it out myself..

And wouldnt a slower shutter speed creat a blur if its point and shoot?