London, 20-21 August 2005: First European Meet-up

well...im on holiday till the 25th...are you sure we cant move it one week later? I really want to come...I think itll suit a lot more people...

Well,
Ryanair offers flights for the same price also on the weekend 27/28 August...!
And I haven't as yet booked anything...
Have you, Mentos?
Therefore we COULD still shift it by one weekend...
Who would appreciate that?
And who would be the admin to change the title of this thread, in case we should actually shift it?

The weekend after is August bank holiday weekend in the UK, so you may find that they're already booked or that there are other problems. Sometimes the train services are cut down or there are strange closures and the traffic will be worse.

I'm doing a wedding on the Saturday in Cambridge, but I might be back on Sunday morning, depending on how good the reception is!

I'm going to be in Switzerland on the 28th... so i'll be in Kent and not London on the 27th packing most likely.

Looks to me like we either try to find a third date - or we have TWO meet-ups. I like the second idea because I can go to both :)

well... tomorrow I'll know something more... because I'm rather short with cash and I asked my friend who has family there if they could give us a bed for free for 3-4 nights( we will come together then) and she will talk to them on Sunday ... so I'll inform you. unfortunately I did not find other cheap places to sleep there. Prices there are soooo horrible!!! But I'm still looking around :)

Wish I could offer you a place but it aint my house, and I dont think my parents would approve of attractive 18 year old polish women sleeping in my bed room...just an inkling...:p

Arty: 19 yr old :)
LaFoto did you find somewhere to sleep already?

Aug 20-21 - a Saturday and Sunday.
List so far:

LaPhoto
LaPhoto's sister
Mentos
mfacer
robhesketh
Scurra
Hertz van Rental

Possibles:

vixenta (if I can talk her into it ;) )
Lensmeister
deveel
Dandy-Warhol
Artemis
tempra

Avoiding Central London - and possibly Greater London - might be an idea. Things (eating/accomodation) tend to be cheaper (and nicer) away from the smoke. But it depends on what people would like to do. London tends to limit photo-ops to street scenes and tourist traps. There are a lot more locations around and about.

So maybe we should consider meeting somewhere other than London. Slightly further North like Oxford or Cambridge? Just as close to Stanstead but accomodation is usually a lot cheaper (Bed & Breakfast becomes an option). It also makes it easier for those in the UK.

I too don't want to spend the whole day in the city centre... we might not have an opp to talk for a while...

Hertz van Rental said:
Aug 20-21 - a Saturday and Sunday.

So maybe we should consider meeting somewhere other than London. Slightly further North like Oxford or Cambridge? Just as close to Stanstead but accomodation is usually a lot cheaper (Bed & Breakfast becomes an option). It also makes it easier for those in the UK.

I think thats a really good idea, its smaller, less chaotic, and not too far from the airport :D

I hope it won't be a problem if I take my friend Magda with me? :) She's not a photog but really nice girl :)

No accomodations as yet. I was getting more and more insecure as to whether to leave the date set or change it. But when I decided to SET a date, I did so we could start on some planning. Else we'd discuss dates there and back - it is absolutely impossible to make everyone happy! If this meetup pulls off - which I am convinced it will - there will be a next one! Which offers great chance to others who can't come to this one.

So once I can be sure that the weekend 20-21 August will remain "our" weekend, I can start booking.
My sister's immediate idea was Cambridge and Ely.
A) it is not so far to go from Stanstead.
B) it is more "England" than London.
C) it is cheaper and chances are better to find a simple, nice accomodation.

Personally, I've never been to Oxford.
This is not really good for a big fan of "Inspector Morse", but then I don't know Ely and the Fens, either... would love to see those.

I wonder how many cars would be around so we could tour the area a little?
Would that be an idea?

Other question:
Who would LOVE to be in the centre of London? For whom would this be the first chance to ever see London (for I would understand why those would want to see that)?

Since I seem to have "imposed" the date upon some, I don't want to "impose" other things on people as well!!!

(It's just that I once planned a group trip to England for my English class 10 years ago, an Adult Education Centre class for Senior Citizens, and I gave them all sorts of options. They were 15 in class, and we always had 15 ideas! Until I decided to draw an offer which they could either accept or decline. All 15 came along in the end).

London is really conenient for me as I don't have a car in Harrow but easy access to the tube. But i'm sure I could sort out some way of getting to Oxford should that be the overriding decision. Although the further out of the city you get the more useless the public transport becomes and it's not very good to start with :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back