Long fight with Nikon and my local photography shop.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well it's come to an end. After 6 weeks. I just thought I'd share the story.

Last year I bought a Nikon D200 + 18-70mm AFS lens and noticed straight away that the aperature was offcentre and just not quite right (some of you may remember the thread). Anyway I didn't get a chance to take it back till now since I was overseas. When I came back the lens went back first thing.

Ok first problem. I shipped my lens back to Photo Continental (great store in Brisbane), they sent it to Andersons Camera Repairs (dodgy repair shop from what i've gathered). 2 weeks later I got the lens back with a note saying no fault found.

So I shipped my lens back to Photo Continental, they sent it to Andersons Camera Repairs along with a nasty message from me. 2 weeks later I get a phone call from them asking me for my reciepts. It has taken them 2 weeks to look at it? I know they got it 3 days after I sent it!

Anyway another week later I get a call from Nikon customer services in Sydney, my lens made it all the way there. They were questioning where I bought the lens. Shortly after I get a call from Andersons saying they do not honour the warrenty of Grey market lenses!!! WHAT!!!!

Ok so back to Photocontinental who then called Nikon. An hour or so later I get a call from Nikon asking for my D200 serial number, and everything is getting weirder. But at this point it's 5:30pm and things are closing so I decide to call it a night and continue the war the day after.

So this morning being that said day after I get another call from Photo Continental. They said they have no idea what is going on or how they would sort this mess out with Nikon but they will do it by themselves and I should just come in and have my now 5 month old D200 body swapped for a new one, and I should pick up a spanking new 18-70mm AFS lens too :D

So without having a remote clue about what went on I just scored myself a new for old swap on my gear :D

That's a lot of Red Tape. Good for that store, for finally doing the right thing and making the customer happy.

good for you, now start taking some photos :)

Lol i never stopped taking photos. I was simply reduced to a Manual focus lens for 6 weeks ;)

It kind of makes me wonder how this came to be though. A reputable dealer with a grey market lens. I'm fingering Maxwell Optical Industries, the Nikon importer in australia who went bankrupt a the month before I bought my camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back