Looking to try MF, any suggestions?

As Unpopular said the Mamiya seems to be a better quality camera as they were pro/prosumer cameras, if you can find one that hasn't been beaten to death they are likely to be better cameras. On the other hand, Yashicas being consumer cameras can be iffy too.

You are likely to get a better price on ebay but someplace like KEH or even the classified on these camera forums (check the post history of whomever is selling!) would be a safer bet.

Before you get set on a TLR though how do you envision using the camera? I ask because there might be a better fit for you -not to knock TLRs, they are great cameras, but you might be better served with another style of camera.

The camera will most likely be used for landscapes, architecture, and possibly pprtraits.

For landscape and architecture, and since weight is not an issue, the Fuji GX 680 is a better choice. Earlier mechanical models are very affordable.

Fuji GX 680 camera, 100mm/4.0 lens, Rollfimholder | eBay

The reason I suggest these is because they have front movements for perspective control and DOF control.

This camera is something you will never ever grow out of. They are a true professional-level machine, and may be worthwhile saving a couple hundred more.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whoa,whoa,whoa...Fuji GX 680...no way in heck...the thing is a BEAST...."better", maybe, but it'll sit at home 99.5% of the time because it's such a massive, ponderous PITA to carry and set-up and to actually USE...plus, the price parameters here are strictly "budget, trial-priced MF"...a GX 680 is about a fellow's fourth MF camera acquisiton, not his first. An SQ-Ai is a much easier-to-carry and emminently "practical" camera for "actual, regular,everyday usage". I own an SQ-AM and SQ-A kit, with a lot of accessories....the RB-67 and RZ-67 are tanks...the GX 680 is a tank, on STEROIDS, with an anchor attached. I would much rather carry a little Yashica or Ricoh or Rolleicord TLR. Lighter than my SQ-A or AM. Cheaper. No worries if it gets stolen.

A camera does a fellow ZERO good if it is left at home...so the lighter, simpler, cheaper, and less-valuable it is, the better. If you are self-conscious about pulling out a shoebox-sized GX 680 and setting up a tripod, you will never use it to take pictures. A cheap, light, self-contained 120 TLR that costs $100 is a much better choice when the budget is low and you are not even sure you want to use a MF Camera. If you do not want a six-pound outfit, then pass on the Mamiya RB and RZ and the Fuji studio cameras and get a camera that was designed to actually be CARRIED someplace and shot outside of a studio. That Bronica outfit you listed seems overpriced to me. Those from-Japan Fuji's have been listed on Fleabay for months now...they charge $120 to ship to the USA, and it SEEMS as if 99% of the entire world-wide production of those went to JAPAN!!!

Last edited:
Maybe an 9lb camera is too much for a sissy boy like yourself, Derrel ... but I used to carry a Graflex RB Super B mounted on a MAJESTIC HEAD, in the god damn snow UP HILL BOTH WAYS!

I was just throwing it out there. He's the one who said weight doesn't matter.

As far as more reasonable cameras go, there is also the Bronica S/S2. Ultra inexpensive and that Nikkor 75 is just superb. Plus, it comes in your choice of black or groovy Avacado!

Last edited:
He also said $200-$300...

He also didn't say, "I want the biggest,bulkiest, not-hardly-ever-seen-in-North-America studio camera" to try out...

lol... Yeah...I know...you were just throwing it out...like most people who bought a Fuji GX 680 did...lol..we COULD have suggested a Mamiya 645 Auto, like that poor Irish bloke is having SUCH trouble with, but that would not be fair!

... RZ67? They're nice and compact!

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

---

Anyway, Koni-Omegas are super inexpensive these days, also. I've known that people who used them really liked them, they looked like hell to me. Thoughts?

(I really wish I could recommend the Mamiya Press, but seriously, they just lead to tears and disappointment)

I will say that it is hard to decide, lol
Missed a bid on a C220, got out bid in last 2 secs, guess it wasnt meant to be. I will keep looking though.
For fun I did buy Zeiss Ikon NETTAR Medium format Folding Camera | eBay, probably not the most practical, but it looked pretty cool.

Now what do you recommend for film? Should I stick w/ the Ilford HP5 I am using for my 35mm, or try something different?

HP5 is good. You're familiar with it. Delta 100 was my choice. Never used it, but Macophot ORT25 always looked really interesting, I'd imagine it would have been pretty impressive in medium and large format.

I think you'll be happy with a Mamiya C-series TLR. The Yashicamat is nice too, the lens on it is a really classic Tessar, not super sharp, but creamy with good separation.

The C-Series I think has a little more growing room, though.

Let me know if you want info on my secret film developer!!!

unpopular said:
>>>>>>RZ67? They're nice and compact!

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

---[QUOTE

I went to a wedding back in 1993 or 94...the professional photographer the couple had hired had a Mamiya RB or RZ 67 camera setup...by the time of the reception,he was sooooo tired...I distinctly remember that during the dancing at the reception at this huge,grand, very OLD and majestic ballroom, he SAT DOWN in a heap in a chair by the wall and said, "Oh my God, I'm EXHAUSTED!" I remember thinking, "Man, that guy is pathetic! He ought to be out there on the dance floor shooting candids! The reception is in full swing!" But instead, he was sitting down,m slumped back in his chair, with that MASSIVE Mamiya on the floor next to his feet, his female assistant seated next to him. True story. I really made an impression on me. THe RZ is suuuuch a BAD design for that type of work....just ungodly unsuited to that type of shooting!

The Koni-Omega??? An old professional in my hometown used to use on, to shoot nightime sporting events with!! he was old back in the 1970's, and REALLY LIKED his Koni-Omega + speedlight for nighttime football and other outdoor event work at night...even though he had a complete Hassy and Canon F1 system, he preferred the Koni-Omega as late as 1982...they do look like neat systems--and they are low-cost for a Big-Neg rollfilm camera!

Yeah. I knew a couple of photographers who really enjoyed them. To me they look really uncomfortable, never handled one. In the late 1990's press cameras were pretty hot, and the Konis were pretty expensive, like $600-900. Times have changed!

Another option is the Graflex XL. Those were really expensive back at that time, like $1200. But the XL has some really interesting glass from Zeiss and Schneider, and I am thinking it has a graflok back, so you could use RB backs with it, iirc. plus you might even be able to easily fit a digital back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gra...812983113?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2ec162f349
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gra...721112870?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2c67dd3b26

These always looks way lighter than the others. Weird ass mount though.

Why not a Speed Graphic with a 6x9 roll film back?

The 127mm lens is Plenty good enough and he'd have movements for Architecture and landscapes alike.

If the rangefinder worked he could even do street photography and have anybody he wanted posing for him. ;)

Most reactions

Back