Loving my new D7100

I bought a 7100 just before Xmas and it really is a fantastic piece of gear.

Also bought a Yongnuo speedlight with it, so trying to learn about flash photography at the same time. Information overload! :)

I use the same setup, and it's an excellent combination! That Yongnuo is actually really good. I do also use a flash-mounted softbox on it, too, which again give pretty good results.

I think I will miss it too much to give it up. I will probably trade up to a 5300 instead of the 7100 when the time comes. I want the wifi and extra mps but don't necessarily have any issues with the 5100 at this point so it is nothing imminent.
You can always go with te D750, got the tilty screen and killer low light performance ;)

Not to hijack the OP's thread but that is an interesting idea. If I stay with the D5100 longer than planned I will have a bigger budget and I hopefully will have improved enough to where I can justify that price tag. Refurb of course! Something to consider, thanks...

I use the same setup, and it's an excellent combination! That Yongnuo is actually really good. I do also use a flash-mounted softbox on it, too, which again give pretty good results.

Out of interest, which softbox do you use for the Yongnuo flash?

Appologies for taking so long to respond.

I use a Fotodiox. This one here:

Fotodiox 6"x8" Softbox for Nikon Flash, Canon: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

It does its job pretty well. I almost never shoot flash photography without it, to be fair.
I also use one of those softboxes for certain work. They are cheap and worth the money. If you get to larger subjects though they are limited, I then use my brollies. (bounce Umbrellas with a diffuser screen) For Off Camera Work

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought a new to me d7100 last month, and am loving this camera. I switched over from a D5100. Im glad I made the switch. Here are some recent pics

Stunning photos, what lens did you use???

I too went from a D5100 to a D7100 recently. Kept the D5100 as a backup and for my wife to learn on. She has a good eye. I can say I do kinda miss the swivel screen when I'm trying to get super low to get my daughters' perspective, but I can overlook that with all the controls on the camera itself that i can adjust on the fly.

Are the photos on your Flickr done with the D7100?

I too went from a D5100 to a D7100 recently. Kept the D5100 as a backup and for my wife to learn on. She has a good eye. I can say I do kinda miss the swivel screen when I'm trying to get super low to get my daughters' perspective, but I can overlook that with all the controls on the camera itself that i can adjust on the fly.

Some are, some are with the D5100. It should say which camera I used for each. The last few photos I added were with the D51oo because my D7100 is being repaired.

Some are, some are with the D5100. It should say which camera I used for each. The last few photos I added were with the D51oo because my D7100 is being repaired.

Then that brings me to my next question :) Your shots are amazing... I am trying to figure out my D7100 some shots look good some not so good, what setting do you have your camera on and what lens are you using say for the top 2 rows of your photos? Hope you dont mind

Then that brings me to my next question :) Your shots are amazing... I am trying to figure out my D7100 some shots look good some not so good, what setting do you have your camera on and what lens are you using say for the top 2 rows of your photos? Hope you dont mind

First off, Thanks! As for settings... the two newest are with the D5100/50mm combo. iso 100, f1.8, all natural light at ~5pm. the rest from the top 2 rows are with the D7100. Most are with the 85mm at f1.8.

The closeup of my one daughter with the hood on is with the 35mm and the two of my friend are with the 50mm. iso under 800 and aperture between wide open and 3.2.

The one of my friend on the bed might have been with my on camera Yongnuo pointed at the ceiling but I don't remember.

I use Aperture priority unless I'm using flash; then I switch to Manual. I choose my focus point and I use spot metering. Hope that helps.

First off, Thanks! As for settings... the two newest are with the D5100/50mm combo. iso 100, f1.8, all natural light at ~5pm. the rest from the top 2 rows are with the D7100. Most are with the 85mm at f1.8.

The closeup of my one daughter with the hood on is with the 35mm and the two of my friend are with the 50mm. iso under 800 and aperture between wide open and 3.2.

The one of my friend on the bed might have been with my on camera Yongnuo pointed at the ceiling but I don't remember.

I use Aperture priority unless I'm using flash; then I switch to Manual. I choose my focus point and I use spot metering. Hope that helps.

Sorry to keep bugging you. I am in desperate need of help. I am doing prom pictures saturday btwn 3pm-5pm I just bought a D7100 and a 50mm lens, only had a little practice with them so far. One prom I noticed is in direct sunlight if i dont use flash its too dark and if I do its way too bright. Any suggestions as far as settings/ mode etc... should I shoot it RAW or JPEG

Sorry to keep bugging you. I am in desperate need of help. I am doing prom pictures saturday btwn 3pm-5pm I just bought a D7100 and a 50mm lens, only had a little practice with them so far. One prom I noticed is in direct sunlight if i dont use flash its too dark and if I do its way too bright. Any suggestions as far as settings/ mode etc... should I shoot it RAW or JPEG

Spot meter. Shoot in raw. Try to find shade. If you can back light and reflect light back into their faces that could work. If you need to use fill flash then dial down the flash intensity so it just barely fills in shadows.

Great camera and impressive pics!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back